No announcement yet.

Which BOSS Distortion Pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

country with a MZ is not impossible but, why selfcomplicate the life?

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

The only difference between the old and new ones is the old ones have a TA7136AP preamp chip, post 94 they only used opamps. First opamp they used is BA728N, 2000 they used M5223AL, 2006 they switched to NJM2904L. My test bed DS-1 has had all three op amps and I didn't notice much difference. I didn't try the preamp chip because the pinout is different than the newer ones, but I've tried a few MIJ DS-1s and they just sound like DS-1s.
      We've done side by sides with an old MIJ (they "should" all be the SIL Toshiba chip, even into early MIT production) vs the new version and the original sounded quite a bit warmer and rounder, a much nicer distortion. I wouldn't expect much difference between the opamps, but they are a totally different kind of chip form the original, which is now OOP.
      Last edited by devastone; 04-15-2024, 12:37 PM.

Comment

I could see it being a noticeable difference in a side by side, but with all the other things you can change on a DS-1, bending over backwards to go back to first gen spec isn't really a goal of mine
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

You can't mod the new ones to work with the old chip, the circuit is totally different.

Yeah, I agree, not worth chasing unless it's totally your thing. I like the Rat better, and I don't care if it is the LM308 or the OP07 version, they both sound the same, but I wouldn't say that out loud in a room full of guitarists.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            What boosts do you like?
            I've got a bunch of boost pedals in my arsenal, each serving a different purpose and bringing its own flavor to my sound. One of my all-time favorites used to be the classic Morley Power/Wah/Boost pedal. The boost was killer, but lugging around that big old pedal became a hassle, especially since the wah wasn't always reliable, making me nervous about using it live. Luckily, Morley now offers the boost as a standalone unit, and I'm itching to try it out. I'm curious if it's the same circuit as the old pedal.

I've also got a couple of BBE pedals, the Bohemium and FREQ, both clones of the Rangemaster, and they've become staples in my setup. There's something about those classic tones that just work for me.

My heaviest-use boost pedal, though, has to be my MOOG Delay. It's got this variable boost knob that I love using as an EP boost. It adds just the right amount of thickness to my sound, and when combined with the slightest amount of barely recognizable delay to thicken the sound, it's like magic to my ears.

Then there's my trusty Triskelion Harmonic Energizer. This pedal lets me really dive into specific frequencies and tweak the EQ and gain to my heart's content. It's like having a sonic sculpting tool right at my feet.

Overall, each of these boost pedals brings something unique to the table, and I love experimenting with them to find new ways to shape my sound.​

Comment

Originally posted by Lovegun View Post
              I voted for the Metal Zone. The other options I have kind of Eye Master and Mooer Ultra Drive which has three modes.
              I love my Eye Master.

Comment

Metal zone all day.

I haven't spent much time with the hm2, but its good.

The ds1 is just plain ol boring.
                https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

I'd probably go w/ the HM2 though I've never owned one, or played one for that matter. Still it's a great iconic sound.(I have tried an Eyemaster though it does'nt really sound the same to me)

I had a Metal Zone ...never liked it as much as some of the other pedals I used at the time, Too fussy to dial in with the dual knobs and all & it was always overshadowed by my DOD Death Metal/Ibanez Thrash Metal Soundtank etc.. which sounded ballsier & less like a can of bees (even the DOD was less Fizzy if you dialed the treble in right )

The kind of tones I was into (bad ones ) were just easier to find w/ the Death & Thrash metal pedals.

And yeah the DS-1 is boring.
                  "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                  If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                    sounded ballsier & less like a can of bees (even the DOD was less Fizzy if you dialed the treble in right )
                    That is why I use the boost; it adds more compression, especially for the MXR D+ and DOD 250, which can get gritty by themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post
                      country with a MZ is not impossible but, why selfcomplicate the life?
                      I wouldn't be using it for Country. More for Classic Rock or Fusion.
                      -Butch

Comment

I've never liked over the top distortion pedals, I do like much more different stages adding up harmonics, so my ideal idea is a tube screamer (or a generic mild overdrive) with low gain in a hard clipping pedal (a OCD for example) with low gain, followed by a eq (like a ge7) , ok, that's the way to obtain EVERYTHING.
                        Once in a llifetime, somebody trust me, you'll not be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Snyder View Post

I wouldn't be using it for Country. More for Classic Rock or Fusion.
                          What amp are you using? I would definitely not recommend the MZ. THe HM2 might work, but there are so many better choices than any of those 3, but it will depend on the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post

What amp are you using? I would definitely not recommend the MZ. THe HM2 might work, but there are so many better choices than any of those 3, but it will depend on the amp.
                            I'm using a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe v4. No, I wouldn't use any of the three. I do own a DS-1 and do not use it. I have an SD-1 that's on my board and I also use the overdrive section of my Route 66. This thread was to satisfy curiosity. I have used the Metal Zone and liked it for what it was.
                            -Butch

Comment

OP what are you plugging into? Certain amps can make any of these sound bad lol

but if these are the only options, I'd say the waza version of either the DS1 or HM2

If you're open to other stuff, try out an OS2 (super underrated) and keep the blend knob between 9 and 3 oclock and the tone knob semi-low

Comment

I'm choosing the HM2 - but mostly because it is the one I am most familiar with.

Honestly, not a huge fan of any.

DS1 - I like the least. Just not the distortion sound I like. So many "better" distortions to me.
                                MT2 - An under-rated pedal, usually used badly. I just don't play what it is best at really.
                                HM2 - Decent pedal and more flexible than one would think. I like better than the DS1 by far, and would play more often than the MT2.

But...Suhr riot, Wampler Mini Plexi, Stack in a Box...all prefered to these.

I like the Digital Metalizer by Boss better than any of the ones presented by Boss
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X