banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use a legit buffer pedal on their board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use a legit buffer pedal on their board?

i just stuck a TC Electronic Bona Fide buffer pedal on my board and holy crap the difference. Its super high imp in low out and its a night and day difference. Much clearer, much more treble coming through (perhaps almost too much if im honest). Im still tweaking things to really dial in the sound i want but it has brought a couple of pedals to new levels of life. Mine is coming right after my boss tuner since i wanted to NOT have the boss buffer driving my circuit.

Anyone else using something like this and have any thoughts on it?
    Originally posted by Empty Pockets
    yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

i know ascension is using one on his board and said it made a big difference

Comment

I have a couple of IC buffers I made somewhere around here. Probably same place as the Rangermaster clones I did years ago. Anyway, yes, a good buffer does make a difference. I did use of them on my board when I had more stuff but since I'm running 2-3 pedals max anymore, I don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by scottish View Post
        Mine is coming right after my boss tuner since i wanted to NOT have the boss buffer driving my circuit.
        I don't understand this. If the boss tuner is in place before the buffer then your signal is buffered through the boss pedal first. I wouldn't expect there to be much if any difference from adding a second buffer in place. What pedals are you running after the buffer?
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I'd put the buffer at the end of your chain, both in the front and in the loop, unless your last pedal already is ultra-low impedance.
          Just use any pedal with a 1meg always-on buffer at or near the front. It can be anywhere near the front to do it's job.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I don't understand this. If the boss tuner is in place before the buffer then your signal is buffered through the boss pedal first. I wouldn't expect there to be much if any difference from adding a second buffer in place. What pedals are you running after the buffer?
            I dont really understand this stuff to be quite honest, but i remember reading somewhere that the boss always on buffer has its own funkiness so if it was just the tuner then you could "re-buffer" after it if you werent running anymore boss pedals in the chain. I got it for free so i figured why not. I have a bunch of other stuff coming after it. I dont play out but i do try to record here and there and i like to be able to just have everything there without having to unplug and move around etc. Anyways, I know putting it there made a massive difference to the sound so it has to be doing something the boss isnt.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
              I'd put the buffer at the end of your chain, both in the front and in the loop, unless your last pedal already is ultra-low impedance.
              Just use any pedal with a 1meg always-on buffer at or near the front. It can be anywhere near the front to do it's job.
              Last pedal is another TC Electronic and I believe all their pedals are ultra low-out.

Comment

Buffer's don't make sense to me either. If I'm not going on a short cable run to my amp, I'm going on a shorter cable run to a DI box. Since my NS-2 noise gate is always on, I never really need to buffer anything else.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

i dont care for the buffers on (some?) boss pedals, so i keep the tu3 out of the signal chain. i put the sd1 and oc2 in bypass loops for the same reason. the fulldrive3 buffer seems ok. i havent played around with a standalone buffer in a while, but i dont feel im lacking high end or clarity

Comment

Originally posted by scottish View Post

Last pedal is another TC Electronic and I believe all their pedals are ultra low-out.
                    Many of them have good buffers built-in, but you do need to open up the back and switch them to always-on status. They are mostly set to true-bypass as stock.

Comment

Boss’s buffers are sufficient in many cases. They are made to “play well with others”. And they do that well.

Comment

Germanium fuzz un-buffer pedal for impedance sensitive effects after a buffer, active guitar pickups, or wireless.

about to buy one of these so the pure tone of my guitar can get to the amp, untainted by the modern impedance of my effects pedals.
                        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I never considered a buffer until I started trying to use the loop on my little Zinly Blue Velvet. Bruce set the levels for rack effects, so a long cable run to and from a board really kills the high end on that amp. I picked up a buffer to try and offset that on that amp and was absolutely stunned in how much it helped the tone through the loops of all my amps. Made the amp sound like it did with nothing in the loop, and was a very noticeable difference. Still didn't fix the issue with my Blue Velvet, that will take a mod in that loop, so I just run any effects for that amp through the front. However, it really opened my eyes and ears to how much tone I was loosing in my other amps with a long cable run through the loops. It was quite literally like pulling a blanket off the amp running the buffer. Now I run a buffer on every board that will use a long cable run to and from the board to a loop. And that goes for running both buffered and true bypass pedals in the loop. It's not so noticeable running into the front of an amp, but sure is in the loop!!
                          Guitars
                          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                            I tried the buffer both ways and got better results in the front end on my board. I only run time based effects normally in my loop, and my normal set up is a 15 ft run to and from the loop to the board or 30 feet of cable total. With my set-up, running a dedicated buffer makes a very noticeable difference in my tone. Others with a different set-up may not get the same results. I have 2 boards that I run with amps that have loops and run buffers on both. I don't run a buffer with the Zinky and running all effects into the front of the amp.
                            Guitars
                            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

It's very situational dependant and will depend on what other pedals you have in the chain. The main thing is having a buffer OR buffered pedal up front that loads the pickups as-if it were a standard amp's input, and then having at the end of the chains either a dedicated buffer OR a pedal that has a quality low impedance output buffer stage to limit loss through the cable.

Comment

Working...
                              X