Can't Afford A KLON.........So I Bought An EHX Soul Food Pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
    For reference, the more bass you have predistortion, the fuzzier your sound gets... the more treble the more rasp.
    Agreed, but...

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
    the more mids, the more tubelike;
    ​100% disagreed. For example, a Tube Screamer is all mids, and it's got to be one of the most blatantly pedal-sounding, least real-amp-sounding overdrive pedals I can think of. And I love Tube Screamers, BTW.

"Tube-like" is more than a matter of EQ, be it pre or post distortion.

FWIW, a Klon isn't all that Tube-like on its own to me either. But the way it interacts with tube input stages because of the way it's EQ'd, the way it blends the clean with the distorted signal, and the way it has TONS of output volume to really drive the input of an amp is very desirable, IMO. Especially for mid-gain applications.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 06-28-2024, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Klon was never intended to be tube-like on it's own. It's not an amp in a box. My understanding is it was created to give Fender singles the girth and level such that you could switch between a Les Paul and a Strat and not change your settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        Agreed, but...

​100% disagreed. For example, a Tube Screamer is all mids, and it's got to be one of the most blatantly pedal-sounding, least real-amp-sounding overdrive pedals I can think of. And I love Tube Screamers, BTW.

"Tube-like" is more than a matter of EQ, be it pre or post distortion.

FWIW, a Klon isn't all that Tube-like on its own to me either. But the way it interacts with tube input stages because of the way it's EQ'd, the way it blends the clean with the distorted signal, and the way it has TONS of output volume to really drive the input of an amp is very desirable, IMO. Especially for mid-gain applications.
        I agree it's not the onlything that makes a pedal tubelike, putting a midboost in front of a metal zone isn't magically going to make it sound like an amplifier, but it's the best description I have for that band. Tubes clip a lot of mids
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          Klon was never intended to be tube-like on it's own. It's not an amp in a box. My understanding is it was created to give Fender singles the girth and level such that you could switch between a Les Paul and a Strat and not change your settings.
          That is essentially how I use my Klone...it is always on.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
          X