Can't Afford A KLON.........So I Bought An EHX Soul Food Pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Afford A KLON.........So I Bought An EHX Soul Food Pedal

I bought An EHX Soul Food pedal used for $65 and I like it. Nice, transparent pedal.

I'd love to try a Soul Food.

I used to have an Archer Ikon as well as a TC Electronic Zeus, and I preferred the Zeus.

Comment

I have a few guitar rigs and for now I'm using the Soul Food with my Mojotone Studio One head. I'm also using a Radial ToneBone Classic tube pedal. The Soul Food is a leave on in this lineup. Everything sounds better with the Soul Food.

Comment

Are you gain staging with the Soul Food?

Comment

I like the Soul Food, especially at the price, but I don't care for it with the gain turned up too high. Get's very harsh very quickly.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
            Are you gain staging with the Soul Food?
            No, I play at home. Pretty sure if I were playing live, I'd surely use the Soul Food.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
              I like the Soul Food, especially at the price, but I don't care for it with the gain turned up too high. Get's very harsh very quickly.
              I use the Soul Food with the gain barely on and on always. For higher gain, I use the lead channel on my amp or my Radial ToneBone Classic pedal.

Comment

Well, not many can afford an actual Klon! But there isn't a whole lot to them- the closes like the Soul Food do a great job. I built one, a BYOC Silver Pony, and it sounds great. On mine, I have the gain up all the way, and use it as my only source of gain.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  Well, not many can afford an actual Klon! But there isn't a whole lot to them- the closes like the Soul Food do a great job. I built one, a BYOC Silver Pony, and it sounds great. On mine, I have the gain up all the way, and use it as my only source of gain.
                  I use it with the gain dialed back so I can stack overdrive pedals with it. Foe me, it's always on with that particular rig.

Comment

This has reminded me to compare my SF with my JHS Notaklon. They are both modestly priced Klones so it would make sense to do a head to head.
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

ive played around with a soul food, it was cool but not all that much like a real klon. i dont have one, but a know a few people who do. they got em when they were new so didnt spend stupid money, other than maybe one dummy, and there is a pretty noticeable difference. the archer i tried was much closer to the real thing. better or not is subjective, if it works and ya like it then run with it

Comment

I played a Soul Food briefly. It didn't sound bad, but it didn't add anything I couldn't get some other way. I have an Archer Ikon gold, though I haven't really gotten to run it fully through it's paces. Really IMO it's a tool to make a Strat work with the same rig as a Les Paul without changing amp settings.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                          I played a Soul Food briefly. It didn't sound bad, but it didn't add anything I couldn't get some other way. I have an Archer Ikon gold, though I haven't really gotten to run it fully through it's paces. Really IMO it's a tool to make a Strat work with the same rig as a Les Paul without changing amp settings.
                          I had an Ikon as well... it sounded really good. Very "complex" and "3D-sounding". Very nice pedal.

My issue, though, is that I use those kinds of Klon-y pedals to boost high gain amps where a Tube Screamer tightens/thins out too much (kinda like an EVH blue channel). In those scenarios, a lot of the subtlety gets lost, and the Zeus actually worked better (for me) because it was squishier and tighter. Dare I say, more TS-ish and familiar while still sounding mostly Klon-ish for the most part.

What I loved about the Archer is that it had A TON of output volume on tap. It's certainly not like a puny Tube Screamer or SD-1 that really struggle to reach unity gain when picking hard on high output pickups. I love that about Kon-inspired pedals. They actually boost and not just compress and add some clipping compared to most TS-types.
                          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 06-17-2024, 01:51 PM.

Comment

I have a Soul Food modified by Alchemy Audio for extra clipping options, and it’s great.

Comment

Supposedly the JHS Meat+3 Mod Soul Food is the ultimate Klon on steroids.

Comment

Working...
                              X