No announcement yet.

Favorite Rat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought this Rat looking to modify it, but I'm struggling to find any issues that need resolved. Maybe it has a tad too little bass and a tad too much gain for what I usually do, but not enough to change it from stock. The beauty of these things are their flexibility, and I feel anything I do to improve it won't be an improvement so much as narrowing it's scope.

Maybe I will put a 220 nF capacitor in parallel with the clipping diodes to thicken up the clean portion of my sound, but that's all I can think of
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
      I've never been able to get along with my Rat but then again I've never put much effort into trying. What does it stack well with, how do I dial it in?
      It stacks well with a 6505 amp with the pedal drive set to, like, 4 and the amp gain set to 3 and the filter knob at about noon.
      Last edited by RanchManSandy; 06-26-2024, 02:55 PM.

Comment

I'm have a Rat 2 and a JHS Series 3 Distortion which is basically the same thing with a switch which I think basically switches diodes for Rat or Turbo Rat. The form factor just fits better on my board. I love Rats as boosters with the gain low and the volume high.

Comment

Yeah, they definitely have a very narrow sweet spot where you can very quickly go between too much gain and too clean
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Comment

This thread got me looking into RAT clips and I spent maybe a little too much money on a whiteface reissue.

This thing rips! With just 3 controls and the knobs on my guitar I can do just about anything with this thing! Especially with the interactivity that was mentioned earlier.

I could do a whole set with this thing with just the onboard controls on my guitar!

Definitely holding onto this one

Comment

Working...
              X