250K or 500K pots with duncans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250K or 500K pots with duncans?

What pots are recommended with duncan pickups? Im finding that they are quite bright with 500k pots especially at the bridge.
    PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
    1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
    Blackstar HT-5
    2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
    Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Re: 250K or 500K pots with duncans?

i see a lot of posts about the difference in the 250k pots and the 500k pots. personally i hear the difference but its not too much as to really improve tone per say IMO

are you talking about humbuckers or single coils? (brand really doesn't matter much)

Comment

humbuckers, and also is there any difference in

changing the volume pot from 500k to 250k,
      OR
      changing the tone pot from 500k to 250k,

Which pot should you change to bleed treble off, do they sound different?
      PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)

Orange Dual Terror Head
      Blackstar HT-5
      Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=10060

I don't mean any offence Dills, but you have the same fundamental question posted in three places. Makes it hard to keep track.

Edit: Heh - make that four places.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=10057
        Last edited by ArtieToo; 07-01-2004, 06:36 PM.

Comment

sorry for posting to many threads about the same topic, got a bit carried a way and anxious i dint know how to put it in one post
          PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)

Orange Dual Terror Head
          Blackstar HT-5
          Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

In a Gibson Les Paul or my SG I'll always use 500k pots....In a strat where I have single coils in the neck and middle positions and a fullsized bridge humbucker,I'll use the 250k..Single coils sound too harsh to my ears with 500k pots and the taper is weird for me.Strats are usually pretty bright anyway,so the 250k is usually a welcome in my case....I don't like things too bright anyway..The 250k values retains the warmth and smooths the highs for the single coils and I'm used to the taper of the 250k values in a strat..

John
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

john does about the same thing as i do. in the bridge with singles i tend to use 250k, but i a strat style with 2 buckers id use 500k. in gibsons 500k.

you can always roll back the tone control and lose some high end, cant really add more if ya dont have it

Comment

Use your ears also, because some humbuckers sound awesome with 300k pots. I find my LP sounds best with the stock 300k volumes.

Comment

Working...
                X