Is it easy to take off nikel covers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it easy to take off nikel covers?

I got my new paul and not that i actually want to do this, but in case i change my mind how hard is it to remove nikel covers from pickups? Is it just a case of unscrewing some screws then taking it off and putting the screws back in...or is there more to it than that?
    My Soundclick page.

Re: Is it easy to take off nikel covers?

Take a dremel tool with a thin carbide grinding wheel and just cut through the solder on both sides...Most times you can just pull the cover off,but other times you need a bit of heat from a hair dryer to loosen the wax up...Check out my tutorials in the vault under replacing a humbucker magnet..I show how to remove and reinstall the covers...

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Also if you use Stratdeluxer's method, re-soldering it is very easy if or when you decide to put the covers back on.

Comment

So if they're wax potted will they have wax and crap under the cover?

Excuse my ignorance if thats a silly question...
        My Soundclick page.

Comment

Originally posted by Young Angus
          So if they're wax potted will they have wax and crap under the cover?

Excuse my ignorance if thats a silly question...
          Good question actually...There's normally a light film of wax on the inside of the cover and on the bobbin tops...I Like to put a layer of masking tape over the slugs,put the cover back on,clamp it,resolder it,and then hit it just long enough with a hair dryer to melt the wax again..

John
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

ehhhh... just took the cover off of the pickup in my new epiphone explorer... it's like a block of wax.... tried chipping it off, I'm such an idiot. I think I cut something bad. Good thing it's just an epiphone pickup... I guess this is a learning experience. I work nights, I've been awake for 23 hours, ehhhhhh! :'(

Comment

Originally posted by theboatcandream
              ehhhh... just took the cover off of the pickup in my new epiphone explorer... it's like a block of wax.... tried chipping it off, I'm such an idiot. I think I cut something bad. Good thing it's just an epiphone pickup... I guess this is a learning experience. I work nights, I've been awake for 23 hours, ehhhhhh! :'(
              use a hair dryer when removing the wax, just blow to the pickup and wipe the wax when it starts to flow. and you dont have to remove the 4 screws at the baseplate when removing the cover.
              2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

Thanks, it's too bad that I already killed the pup... even though it was only worth around $3.00. I'm actually upset because I'm tired and did something stupid, it has little to do with the damage I actually did.

Comment

Working...
                X