Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selecting pickup combination for home built

Hi,

I'm currently designing a guitar and would like some comments on selecting a pickup combination.

The guitar will be a headless Steinberger GP inspired guitar with a fixed ABM bridge. The body wood will be alder with a thin maple top. The neck will be maple with a Pau Ferro fretboard. My idea of pickup arrangement is Hum-Single-Hum.

Amps will be a Laney TT20H with different cabs, and an amp from either HIWATT, Orange or Matamp. I have to admit that I'll probably be using a Roland MicroCube as well.. : )

It will do service as a travel guitar (the reason for using a MicroCube) and will therefore be used on a number of different music styles, but it will mainly be blues of many different periods and styles (actually including ZZtop and Pink Floyd...) as well as early rock like Zeppelin. This means that I need a nice distortion as well as a good and clear clean sound. I don't know if it is doable in one pickup combination.

The Seymor Duncan Tone Wizard suggests:
    Bridge: SH-4 JB (not surprised) or SH-1 59.
    Middle: SVR-1 Vintage Rails or SSL Vintage Staggered.
    Neck: SH-1 59 or SHPG-1 Pearly Gates or SH-2 Jazz.

Any comments on this? Is there any combinations that you would suggest over the other?

Thanks

Re: Selecting pickup combination for home built

If ZZtop, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin tones are what you are looking for, why don't you check out a set of PGs. Great pickups, can do both clean and overdriven tones magnificiently. A 59b and PGn would be great as well.

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Thanks, I've heard PGs and 59s in a Les Paul. Maybe they'll work great in a fender scale guitar as well. I'll try it. Thanks

Comment

Hey kryten; welcome to the forum. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm pushing my song, but here's a thread of a new song I'm working on that uses a pair of 59's in a Strat-ish clone, (Peavey Predator).

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=10789

Comment

Which combination of selection are you thinking of? Are interested in obtaining good "in between sounds"?

Comment

Working...
          X