Semi-hollow pickup suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi-hollow pickup suggestions

I recently bought an Ibanez Artcore AS73 and was wondering about some possible replacement p'ups in case I don't like the stocks in it. I'm looking to keep the nice clean sound inherent to semis, but I also want to be able to pull a nice dirty sound from them as well. For one example, I really like the distorted sound Mike from Incubus gets on their "Morning View Sessions" DVD. I run my guitars through a POD 2.0 into a QSC power amp to a 4x12 cab.

I believe Mike uses JBs and '59s in his solid bodies, not sure about the semi-hollow he uses on that DVD though.
    Last edited by FretFire; 07-07-2004, 03:26 PM.
    After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Re: Semi-hollow pickup suggestions

try to move your pickups closer to the strings . . .if doesnt sound like you want to . . .see some pick ups @ ebay . . .there's a user called guitarfetish i think he deal a lot of gretsh / rickembaker likes humbuckers!

see ya and good luck!

Comment

I messed with a couple of the Ibby Artcore's in the store not too long ago. While the pups may not be horrible, per se, I'm sure you'ld like a nice, shiny, new set of Duncans better.

Others can comment on other combinations, but I think a set of 59's would be killer in that guitar.

Edit: BTW - that is such a nice guitar for the money. How do you like it otherwise? As far as playability, feel, mojo?
      Last edited by ArtieToo; 07-07-2004, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Well, I don't have the guitar yet, I'm just getting some recommendations together for what models of aftermarket pickups would fit the bill. I'm usually not a fan of stock pickups so I'm just preparing for the possibility. I won't be making a purchase for a while, just doing research. I have DiMarzios installed in my other two guitars but this one is going to be a totally different animal, a bit more laid back and vintage sounding, so I was thinking of looking at SD.

Comment

I've had the Duncan '59s, Alnico II Pros, and Seth Lovers recommended, as well as the DiMarzio EJ Customs and Air Classics. I'm just trying to whittle this list down a little haha.

Comment

If you haven't actually purchased it yet, you may also want to look at the new Peavey JF-1. I think I like it a bit better than the Artcore, although, I'm not sure I could tell you why. Just something about how it struck me.

(Deleted the pic to save bandwidth, since you already bought the Artcore.)
            Last edited by ArtieToo; 07-07-2004, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FretFire
              I've had the Duncan '59s, Alnico II Pros, and Seth Lovers recommended, as well as the DiMarzio EJ Customs and Air Classics. I'm just trying to whittle this list down a little haha.
              Any of these would probably be great.

BTW - did I say . . . welcome to the forum.

Comment

Sorry to be so unclear at first haha, I've already ordered the guitar, it just hasn't arrived yet. I've heard the stock pickups aren't too bad, but I'm usually not a fan of stocks, so I know there is a reasonable chance I'll want to replace them.

As far as some of the models I've mentioned, can you guys give me some pros/cons they might have concerning the sound I'm after? I won't be using the guitar for high-gain situations, but I'd like to be able to have a pretty nice thick distorted sound available, as well as keeping the nice clean a semi-hollow will naturally bring to the table.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome, always nice to feel at home haha.
                Last edited by FretFire; 07-07-2004, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                  BTW - that is such a nice guitar for the money. How do you like it otherwise? As far as playability, feel, mojo?
                  I'm not sure yet, hopefully I can tell you by this weekend...wish me luck.

Comment

I just got an AFS75T. I am hoping to go with an A2Pro neck and a Custom Custom bridge. I’m trying to keep it in line with my current guitar with the same pups. The original pickups sounded a lot better then the stock pups that came in my Epiphone but they are too bass and treble heavy as compared to the mid heavy A2 pickups that are now in my Epi.

I want the heavy bridge pickup so that I can do exactly like you are saying and keep the clean sound but also have the extra edge when I need it.

Comment

Wow, similar tastes, similar names...sorta scary. I'm not sure I want to go as hot as a custom custom, I want to keep the attitude of the semi but be able to get a little dirty when I want. Right now I'm debating between a pair of SD Seth Lovers, and a pair of DiMarzio Virtual PAFs. If I need to go high gain I have 2 other guitars that can cover that territory very well. One is a Schecter C1+ w/ DiMarzio Fred(B)/PAF Pro(N) and the other is an Ibanez RG321 w/ DiMarzio Tone Zone(B)/Air Norton(N).

Please don't flame me for saying the D word........

.....several times......

Comment

What I love to use is Dimarzio Virtual PAFs. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, the middle position can do funk - it really has some chime to it which is great, the neck is a bit warmer and works wonderful for overdriven blues tones and the bridge is killer for distortion. What I love is the clarity and articulation of notes, the stringe separation is all there. The brighter, slightly chimier nature of the VPAFs combined with the airey type tone of a semi make for a unique touch.

Seth Lovers are probably the way to go for a warmer, more traditional jazz based or hot rodded blues based tone.
                        Last edited by That90'sGuy; 07-07-2004, 11:10 PM.
                        Originally posted by kevlar3000
                        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                        Originally posted by Zerberus
                        Better is often the enemy of good
                        Originally posted by ginormous
                        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I don't think I'd use anything more powerful than a Duncan '59 or Gibson '57. Seths would be nice, too.
                          www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Well, the output on the Virtual PAFs (Bridge/Neck) is 230mV/210mV. Alnico 5 magnets by the way, same as the '59. The Seths are Alnico 2's, but the output for both the '59 and Seths are right about in the middle of the chart, which I assume to be around 200-225mV.

In my experience with DiMarzios vs. Duncans, I prefer the DiMarzios (the biggest showdown being Fred/PAF Pro vs. JB/'59). Not to say Duncans sound bad, I just prefer the unique sounds DiMarzio often brings to the table. Since all of these pickups are in the same basic neighborhood, I think I'll probably go with the Virtual PAFs.

Comment

Anyone else have suggestions?

aka bump...

Comment

Working...
                              X