I've experienced a "Blackout"!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I've experienced a "Blackout"!

It seems to have that low-end roar more pronounced and raw than EMGs.
    Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

I was just reminded of why I don't use active pickups anymore.

I'm glad they're working for you, though. Tastes being what they are, I'm pretty sure they just aren't my thing.
      -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

I didn't like the sound at all. Too clinical, sterile and harsh. My favorite active pickup is still the Shadow SH-EQ5. It can do anything: from a low-output PAF sound through an EMG sound to a Livewire Metal sound. It can also be used like a passive pickup with the preamp off!

But thanks for posting the examples!

Edit: I listened to the clips using a higher quality headphones and I must say that the clean sound is quite good. Better than EMGs. But the dirty sound I just can't stand, sorry. Sounds like ETD-era Dimmu Borgir to me. I can't listen to that album because of the sound, and the songs themselves are quite good. And I like black metal! I believe it's your amp settings that I don't like 8)
        Last edited by pstarove; 06-19-2007, 10:27 AM.
        Guitars (from favorite to less favorite):Parker Fly Deluxe, "Frankenstrat":B.C.Rich neck+Shamray CS body, Orville by Gibson Black Beauty Reissue, Steinberger GSXSTD

Pickups I currently own: Custom wound pickups a la Dimarzio VPAF/VHPAF with mismatched coils and Alnico2 magnets, Shadow SH-EQ5, SH-663 actives, Gibson '57 Classics and Burstbuckers

Pickups I tried and sold: SD Hot Rails, Invader, Gibson 496R, 500T, EMG 89, 89R, Dimarzio AirNorton, Norton, ToneZone, AirZone, Parker Fly Customs.

Comment

Geez you guys are brutal! Thank you Darth Nihilus for posting clips, they sound great to me.

But seriously guys you can't judge these babies by one or two clips. Literally every time we send these pickups to artists they are completely amazed. I can't make up the kinds of things they are saying. Their emails are loaded with exclamation points! So if these same professional artists are used to the "others" and they are blown away when they use Blackouts through their professional rigs, I imagine everyone else will follow. Darth is just the first to post what he's doing with them.

Someday I should probably record a clip with something like a '78 or Distortion and then record the same clip with the Blackouts. Maybe that would give better context of what these babies can really do.

Comment

I didn't say I didn't like them, Im saving up for a set... I was just commenting on the wall of gain I was pelted with!!!

You can hear the difference between EMG's and SD Blackout's though, much more 'organic'.

I think the 'sterile' tone came mostly from the guys loaded amp.

Comment

Darth, Thanks for posting the clips

I can already hear that they are warmer, less compressed and quieter (less noise) than EMGS

You're playing is great...the only reason guys are giving you crap is that your distorted amp sounds like a POD or something.
              Last edited by peace_destroy_many; 06-19-2007, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Rob Trevino from Eternity Black and Helstar is the latest artist to switch:

Sent: Monday, June 18, 2007 12:11 PM
                To: Patrick Kirshtner
                Subject: I've been Blacked-Out!!!

Dude-

Just a note to let you know how pleased I am with these new pups!!! I don't really know how to describe the tone, but it is awesome!! I have replaced the stock pickups in my new axe and now i am ready to rock...

I will be getting new sets of Blackouts ASAP. I think I am even going to replace my Dimebucker in my ESP baritone. It sounds good, but I just don't think it compares with these babies!

Big props to you and everyone at SD for working with me!! I REALLY appreciate it!

We are scheduled to begin recording our CD sometime this weekend and it should go on through the end of the month and most of July and I believe (if all goes to plan) we should have a November release. I will definitely get you guys a new kit with the new CD once we get our promos...

Rock on!

Rob.
                Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

they kinda sound like commodore 64 playing with distortion

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
                    Rob Trevino from Eternity Black and Helstar is the latest artist to switch:

Sent: Monday, June 18, 2007 12:11 PM
                    To: Patrick Kirshtner
                    Subject: I've been Blacked-Out!!!

Dude-

Just a note to let you know how pleased I am with these new pups!!! I don't really know how to describe the tone, but it is awesome!! I have replaced the stock pickups in my new axe and now i am ready to rock...

I will be getting new sets of Blackouts ASAP. I think I am even going to replace my Dimebucker in my ESP baritone. It sounds good, but I just don't think it compares with these babies!

Big props to you and everyone at SD for working with me!! I REALLY appreciate it!

We are scheduled to begin recording our CD sometime this weekend and it should go on through the end of the month and most of July and I believe (if all goes to plan) we should have a November release. I will definitely get you guys a new kit with the new CD once we get our promos...

Rock on!

Rob.
                    Helstar is king in progressive thrash music.I love them.Thanx for the post Evan!
                    I don't think they are sounding bad at all!
                    The clean clip from Darth is amazing ,not as good as the EMG 60/60A
                    But that was not the intention of the PU either!!
                    The Distortion sound is overhelming ,but we all know the difference between Zakk Wilde ,Lukather ,Hammet etc....all using the same PU!.
                    So i am looking forward to test one in my Peavey ,and my Ibanez 7..
                    www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Originally posted by OrkestrA View Post
                      turn your gain down, **** me!
                      Are you kidding? I'm sure the people who want to hear this pup want to hear it at half power.

As far as the machines used to record these clips, I did say I'm not set up for recording and therefor, had to go to a friend's house to use his computer gear.

As far as it sounding cold, flat, sterile blah blah blah.............
                      Spare me! These pups are for active pup fans.

We should all have a good reference point, tone-wise with these clips which is what the whole point is. If somebody has a blackface twin and a Soldano SLO with which to record clips, knock yourselves out.

Thanks to all of you for your kind words!!!
                      Last edited by Darth Nihilus; 06-19-2007, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer678 View Post
                        thanx for the clips. Whats your EQ at right now?
                        Bass-7 mid-9 treble-7 gain-10

Comment

hey everybody, AMS has blackouts in stock. i just ordered a neck version for the bridge of my LTD laiho.

Shop Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackouts Active Humbucker Pickups from AMS with 0% Interest Payment Plans and Free Shipping.

Shop Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackouts Active Humbucker Pickups from AMS with 0% Interest Payment Plans and Free Shipping.
                          Originally posted by Aceman
                          It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

frankfalbo, please do a clip comparing them, because I'm not convinced, at all, with Darth's clip (no offense here!). Oh I understand ! Mids to the max and treble = bass. Personnally I like it better this way : Bass:8, Mids:7, Treble:7, but hey, I play rythm !

OK, I'm exagerating a bit ! But I rly wanna know how they sound compared to other pickups.
                            Last edited by eternal_metalhead; 06-20-2007, 03:03 PM. Reason: Explanation of why I didn't like the tone.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                                Geez you guys are brutal! Thank you Darth Nihilus for posting clips, they sound great to me.

But seriously guys you can't judge these babies by one or two clips. Literally every time we send these pickups to artists they are completely amazed. I can't make up the kinds of things they are saying. Their emails are loaded with exclamation points! So if these same professional artists are used to the "others" and they are blown away when they use Blackouts through their professional rigs, I imagine everyone else will follow. Darth is just the first to post what he's doing with them.

Someday I should probably record a clip with something like a '78 or Distortion and then record the same clip with the Blackouts. Maybe that would give better context of what these babies can really do.
                                I'm not doubting you or your company at all, I think seymour duncan is one of the best companies around today(Especially in customer service, a whole forum for us to share our knowlage), even if they do not suit my desires as well as other companies.

I have to make judgements on products due to what I'm exposed to, I do not buy something unless I have a good general idea of what it sounds like. If multiple clips show me that the said product is 180° from what I'm expecting of it, I can't buy it in good faith.

You guys should haul in a mesa mark 4 and use a proper recording rig with a good player and put out some good clips of these pickups doing as they're intended. Though I'm sure major labels will pretty much be doing this for you any way some time soon.
                                Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

Working...
                                X