Get Yer Custom Shop Crazy 8!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Get Yer Custom Shop Crazy 8!!!

On Parallel Axis pickups the logo doe snot come off with Brasso..only on regular plastic bobbins it does.

Who knows how it sounds like. Will MJ/Seymour disappoint us?

I get 2. The EVH/78 I know I like, true-I would have gotten 4 of those-heck maybe even more..but that's just because of the looks-not so much in doubt of the way it might sound..I can't put an Axis looking pickup in most of the vintage guitars-looks wise.

However, for you Kramer ProAx owners..go ge tone..you can't tell it was replaced, only production guitar I can think off my head with PA's standard.

Remy

Comment

I can't wait to hear this p'up... it sounds like a crusher.

any speculations as to what it will be similar too?

Comment

I'm thinkin I'll pick one up, for curiosity's sake. I missed out on the brobucker cause I didn't have the cash at the time. The specs on this one are looking pretty good to me, and It'd be a good excuse to put my super-tele back together.

LJ...don't hate .

Comment

Seems I caught this thread just in time. I've no idea what it'll go in as yet, but it sounds like just the sort of thing Saudi Arabia needs. Maybe I can corner this particular market...

>;o))
          Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Yay for new Pickups!!!!!! I'm Excited

~Mitch~
            Buy My Neck!!!

Stage3-1

Comment

Originally posted by KramerAmsterdam View Post
              However, for you Kramer ProAx owners..go ge tone..you can't tell it was replaced, only production guitar I can think off my head with PA's standard.

Remy
              A number of Hamer guitars came standard with PATB's; the Californian and later Chaparral models come to mind.

-Austin
              "Brobucker? Does it smell like Axe body spray, Smirnoff Ice, and is best suited for playing Nickleback covers?"

Comment

Originally posted by LJ King View Post
                Wow... a committee designed pickup.

Wow... look at the herd members that want it.

Good thing I'm a maverick.

I fully expect that everyone that gets one will be proclaiming it's virtues.

Uh... before you condemn me for being negative - have you heard it yet? Or are you just willing to pay to go along to get along?
                Remember that no one heard the Brobucker prior to its conception, either. It was also a design by committee pickup. The committee had a little more focus on what they wanted it to sound like, but it was still the entire forum voting on all the specs of the pickup. The Brobucker was a huge success, so give MJ and Seymour the benefit of the doubt that they can take our design ideas and craft them into a good pickup.

Oh wait, LJ Troll wasn't around for the Brobucker...
                Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

I'm on the fence about getting the Crazy 8, but it has peaked my interest in the PATB pickups. I could use a middle pickup in my Ibanez and was wondering about the PASTK1n (single coil version). On the website it says that it works well with the other PATB pickups - will it work with a Custom in the bridge and a Dimarzio Fred in the neck?
                  1996 Fender Custom Shop Tele Jr #24 out of 25
                  Modified 1980's Kramer with classic cover 59n/59b
                  1991 Ibanez 540sltd with a JB in the bridge
                  Warmoth VW with a Custom in the bridge
                  USA Custom Guitars hollow strat with P90s
                  MIJ Fender Strat (1984 - 1987)

Peavey Transtube 212 Special, Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber +
                  Orange Micro Terror, Fender Pro Jr. (w/ Eminence Texas Heat)

Comment

Originally posted by TheArchitect View Post
                    So you knew exactly what your Duncans were going to sound like in your guitar before you bought them eh? Hypocrite.

Not a very good counter to LJ's point.

We're talking about a $115 custom shop pickup that can not be exchanged for another custom shop pickup. Also, no one can even guess of what it would sound like. VS. A production pickup with tons of reviews and info for $60 that can be exchanged for another production pickup.

I really can't justify it considering I just installed a new pickup I'm very happy with, but I'm not critizing anyone who wants to buy a crazy 8.
                    Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

I'm on the fence. If anyone could give me a ballpark idea of what tone this pickup will have it would make this decision a lot easier.
                      Fender Custom Shop 1965 Stratocaster Heavy Relic HSS Floyd Rose (JB/Cruz/Cruz)
                      Gibson Custom 1959 Les Paul Reissue (CustomBuckers)
                      Gibson Custom Crimson Byrdland Florentine ('57 Classics)
                      Charvel San Dimas Koa (Custom 5/Quarter Pound)
                      Gibson Custom SJ-200 Quilt 120th Anniversary
                      Taylor Custom All-Koa PSGA
                      Taylor Custom Wildwood CV 914ce
                      Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Comment

From the SD Tone Chart:

There is a PATB-2 or the Distortion Parallel Axis Four Con
                        21.3 k
                        3.9 KHz
                        Ceramic Bar
                        5 / 6 / 7 (lows/mids/highs)

Then the : PATB-3 Blues Saraceno Parallel Axis Model
                        Four Con.
                        9.8 k
                        6 KHz
                        Alnico V Bar
                        6 / 3 / 6

The Crazy 8 of course has the A8 mag, Can the tone be estimated from those parallel axis examples?
                        Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
                        -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          I'm on the fence. If anyone could give me a ballpark idea of what tone this pickup will have it would make this decision a lot easier.
                          +1

I didn't mean to sound at all negative in my earlier post, just that I would feel more comfortable spending that much on a pickup that I don't even have the guitar I'm putting it in yet if we had more of a guess of what it would be like.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Toad View Post
                            From the SD Tone Chart:

There is a PATB-2 or the Distortion Parallel Axis Four Con
                            21.3 k
                            3.9 KHz
                            Ceramic Bar
                            5 / 6 / 7 (lows/mids/highs)

Then the : PATB-3 Blues Saraceno Parallel Axis Model
                            Four Con.
                            9.8 k
                            6 KHz
                            Alnico V Bar
                            6 / 3 / 6

The Crazy 8 of course has the A8 mag, Can the tone be estimated from those parallel axis examples?
                            it might be hard to say, this one's A8 and 13.5k. nothing close to any of the current PATBs.

on a side note..it'd be nice if the logo was "SDUGF Custom" since its specs are decided by the forum ppl. haha... just a thought
                            Last edited by I_M_Ken; 05-04-2007, 01:37 PM.
                            1987 Ibanez RG550: Steve Special, SSL-2, Air Norton
                            1999 Jackson PS6T-KE: Crazy 8
                            Jackson KVX10: X2N
                            1997 Epi Les Paul Slash: Virtual PAF, Hum From Hell
                            Early 90's Yamaha RGZ621D: JB, Screamin' Demon
                            http://fusionken.blogspot.com
                            http://project-jeng.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by I_M_Ken View Post
                              on a side note..it'd be nice if the logo was "SDUGF Custom" since its specs are decided by the forum ppl. haha... just a thought
                              nice
                              Fender Custom Shop 1965 Stratocaster Heavy Relic HSS Floyd Rose (JB/Cruz/Cruz)
                              Gibson Custom 1959 Les Paul Reissue (CustomBuckers)
                              Gibson Custom Crimson Byrdland Florentine ('57 Classics)
                              Charvel San Dimas Koa (Custom 5/Quarter Pound)
                              Gibson Custom SJ-200 Quilt 120th Anniversary
                              Taylor Custom All-Koa PSGA
                              Taylor Custom Wildwood CV 914ce
                              Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Comment

I've had a breakthrough idea! Not that anyone cares, but I really wanted this pickup to be double cream, since my Les Paul is all cream, and needs cream pups. So I wasn't planning on getting one.

However, I think I'm going to get a zebra neck, with the bridge coil black and the neck coil cream. That way, it will at least blend a little! There's a PGn ending on eBay soon, and that's exactly what I wanted. I'm pretty Jazzed now! I'm happy, cause I really wanted this pickup - it sounds like it'll be really awesome.

So I'm happy. Not that anyone cares.

Comment

Working...
                                X