new multimeter...what am I doing!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new multimeter...what am I doing!?

So I stopped by the hardware store today and finally got myself a multimeter.

Of course, I don't know how to use it. In fact, I really don't even know how to pronounce it, and everytime I try to I sound like an ass.

Mult-ee-meter?
    mul-ti-meter?
    mult-I-meter?

anyway, I want to measure my Custom. I'd also like to know how to use it to bias amps in the future. I might get a tube amp someday. Dreams do come true ya know!

Do I use the 10a DC or Vohm mA jack for the red cable?
    Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
    Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
    Originally posted by Sosomething
    "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Re: new multimeter...what am I doing!?

use the Vohm mA jack for resistance. You should have it set to at least 20K ohms. I'm not sure about biasing amps though. I think it has to do with the power tubes having a certain current run through them?
    ScreamingDaisy: I don't do sympathy. If you want sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Comment

Volts and Ohms are measured like this, with the leads across the device to be measured:

Amps and milliamps, (current), is measured like this, in series with the device to be measured:

However, when measuring the bias of a tube, you are usually given the voltage "drop" across a resistor, in which case you'ld measure voltage, at whatever spec is given for the amp.

If your meter came with a manual - read it.

Comment

When you measure a 4 conductor pickup which has two of the wires soldered together you get a reading (I.E. PAF PRO) of 4.67k. I am assuming that's the reading for one of the coils, so would you basically just double the number ( 9.34k) to get the full resistance?

Comment

I have 13.3 in series for my Custom, 6.7 split. Sounds about right to me actually. I had a Custom previously and I remember it seeming hotter than this one. From day one this pickup seemed like it had more high end clarity and bite. I guess now it's just official. I have a cool-assed Custom. Literally!
          Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1
            When you measure a 4 conductor pickup which has two of the wires soldered together you get a reading (I.E. PAF PRO) of 4.67k. I am assuming that's the reading for one of the coils, so would you basically just double the number ( 9.34k) to get the full resistance?
            Try putting one of your leads on the other pair of wires. One should always be on the hot.

What I did was put one on the hot output, and the other on the red/white. That gave me my split reading of 6.7. Then I put a lead on the green/bare. That gave me my full 13.3.

Comment

Originally posted by korovamilkdud

Of course, I don't know how to use it. In fact, I really don't even know how to pronounce it, and everytime I try to I sound like an ass.

Mult-ee-meter?
              mul-ti-meter?
              mult-I-meter?

anyway, I want to measure my Custom. I'd also like to know how to use it to bias amps in the future. I might get a tube amp someday. Dreams do come true ya know!

***Also, is it digital or analog??
              If it's analog, you'll need to " zero " the needle before checking pickups.
              It's easy to do> set it for ohms, touch the red and black prongs together, and turn the little thumbwheel or dial until the needle is zeroed. Your manual will explain this.................
              Only The Strong Survive

Comment

I should read my manual.

Comment

Mult-ee-meter?
                  mul-ti-meter?
                  mult-I-meter?

Question one ...standard english ...question two ... read the instructions ... you think I'm being funny ...I'm not! Every DMM and analogueVOM comes with step by step instructions, and lot's of safety warnings! Read them especially.
                  You do not use the 10A input (at least fro your purposes), most meters it's unfused anyway ... Read severe safety hazard. Seriously, I'm not trying to bust your chops, BUT if you won't take the time to read the manual ... then well ... nuh said.
                  Art for what it's worth I wouldn't buy a metter without a manual, personal opinion, he shouldn't either, if it doesn't have one, something is funky, take it back.
                  Last edited by Kent S.; 07-13-2004, 04:49 AM.
                  ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                  ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                  Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

I should read my manual.
                    There ya go ....good man! ...

Comment

I agree completely.

One of the reasons I posted those pics was, I was working at a job many years ago, with a guy who had been using a meter for over 10 years, that didn't know that current readings were made in series.

I was the "new kid", and I don't think he appreciated me telling him.

Thank God he wasn't doing anything important - like avionics or something.

(It was home alarms.)

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                        I agree completely.

One of the reasons I posted those pics was, I was working at a job many years ago, with a guy who had been using a meter for over 10 years, that didn't know that current readings were made in series.

I was the "new kid", and I don't think he appreciated me telling him.

Thank God he wasn't doing anything important - like avionics or something.

(It was home alarms.)
                        Or the time someone switched my meter to current playing around, and I grabbed the probes and went to do a voltage reading (that's what it had been set on) on a 120 line ... blue flash, heat,loud pop, lights on circuit went dead ... lights came back on after guy on crew reset breakers ... me half laying on the floor about five feet from where I had been squatting, looking at the *melted end* of one of the probes, good for 10,000V my %$# ... 120 at almost no resistance melted, nay actually destroyed part of the tip of the probe ... had my hand somehow been a bit closer ...
                        Jokerboy got wisked away before I could say my peace to him, turns out he got to see the unemployment line rather quickly too.

Comment

Try putting one of your leads on the other pair of wires. One should always be on the hot.

What I did was put one on the hot output, and the other on the red/white. That gave me my split reading of 6.7. Then I put a lead on the green/bare. That gave me my full 13.3.
                          I tried this on the other wire just for kicks and it gave a funky number like .4478 or 1.114

Maybe the pickup really only has one working coil after all... Pickup in question is shown in the "Why are Dimarzios made so cheaply" thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1
                            I tried this on the other wire just for kicks and it gave a funky number like .4478 or 1.114

Maybe the pickup really only has one working coil after all... Pickup in question is shown in the "Why are Dimarzios made so cheaply" thread.
                            Well if it is in fact a DMZ (or was before whatever was done to it, by whomever), then normal HB mode is red to hot(red probe), black& white together, green to ground (black probe) ... red and black are the north coil (slug poles on a PAF stlye); green and white on the south coil (screw poles ...PAF style) the cable always exits under the south coil, red and green are the starts and black and white are the finishes.

Comment

So to get a combined coil reading on a 4 conductor pickup I would do what exactly? One probe on green and the other red? (hot and ground)

Comment

Working...
                              X