Jazz neck is muddy in my LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz neck is muddy in my LP

Well, I replaced the PAF (neck) with a Jazz neck in my les paul custom and its muddy. Doesn't sound like the clips at all. Its a little less muddy than the the PAF and less output. I tried disconnecting the tone pot to no avail. Any tips?

Re: Jazz neck is muddy in my LP

do you have a 500k volume pot running it? if not i would try it out
    boreddddddddddd

Comment

lower the pickup's height and raise the polepieces. It worked for me when I had a 59 in my Lester.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

The Jazz should definitely not be muddy. Try the suggestions above.

Ryan
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

you may want to check your amp settings also. the les paul neck position is supposed to be thick, but one person's thick is another person's muddy.

The jazz has the least mud of any pickup Ive ever tried.
          Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

How do I raise the polepieces? Are they the screws on the pickup?

Comment

Originally posted by samwheat
              How do I raise the polepieces? Are they the screws on the pickup?
              Yes, first set your pup around an eighth of an inch from the top of pick-up to the low E, then raise the pole pieces slightly to match the radius (curvature) of the fretboard. If you still got mud, lower the pup in small increments till she cleans up. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

I think you should change the pots. The Jazz neck is the most hollow-sounding humbucker in the Duncan-line, which i know. I like it's clarity in darker guitars.
                Pickups... the final frontier.
                These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
                Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

Definitely change the volume pot(s) to 500k audio taper. It makes a big difference - opens up the sound of the guitar and makes it more versatile.

Comment

Three things:
                    #1 - It's a Paul. The nature of the beast is that it's bassy/deep/muddy/fat/woman-toney or whatever you want to call it in the neck
                    #2 - Let's hear it for whoever said check the amp settings - I know a lot of people who can play the hell out of the guitar, but can't "play" the amp to save their lives. (SRV's tech said Stevie was like that!). I often kick the bass back a couple of notches!
                    #3 - All the rest of the suggestions are great, so try them (especially the pickup pole adjust). You can make some major tone tweeks by changing the height/curve. Any guitar fix it book at barnes/noble or borders will tell you the standard Gibson measures and how to do it (screwdriver and a ruler).

But I get back to a classic Guitar Player April fool's article that told how to get "Malmsteen's" tone from a Gretsch hollowbody. I think it would have worked, but buying a strat would have been easier. Are you sure a Paul is what you want
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Well if you are that happy with your bridge pickup. Is it a keeper? A bright bridge pickup will cause you to eq the neck muddy so maybe a fatter bridge pickup and a brighter amp eq.

If bridge PU is a keeper the Pearly Gates neck has a gutsy brightness about it…Also try this eq with the Jazz...bass 2, mid 8, treb 6.
                      Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

yeah in my LP style guitar (esp eclipse) I found the jazz "muddy" too. I actually favored the '59 over it and put that back in. Go figure.

Comment

Working...
                        X