Got My Crazy 8 Today!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Got My Crazy 8 Today!!!!

I really really am digging mine in my Charvel 4. The more I play it, the more I like it, and oddly, the more broad it seems to be. Its very dynamic and sensitive to attack, and Im having alot of fun with it.. Good clarity under heavy gain too!
    I know Ive said it before but I encourage you to spend some time with it.. If it doesnt move you at first, give it a chance.
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

So far, so good. I think I'm gonna like this pup. It is a "bit" brighter than I normally go for, but it has great clarity. And it's matching up well with the Phat Cat in the neck position.
      Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
      https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
      Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Okay...I got the pup installed. It replaced a JB in my alder American Strat. I have it matched with a Jazz in the neck position.

After playing for a bit, I find that the pickup is too mushy on the lows for my style (the JB is my bridge pup of choice). Now, for lead work, the low strings sound great, but lose definition with chording when I bring the gain up. (Kind of the opposite of the Full Shred, which eats gain for breakfast and gets very tight when the gain is piled on).

The top end is outstanding though. It's got plenty of cut without getting thin. It's also very full sounding, which I like.

As it stands now, I think this would be an outstanding pickup to do lead work with when tracking. Very definitely a keeper.

These are just my first impressions...I need to tweak the pup height a little more, be more aggressive EQ adjustment and so on. It may also be that it doesn't play particularly well with the Jazz, as my current settings are my attempt at optimizing the tone of both pups.
        Last edited by Farkus; 07-06-2007, 10:30 PM.
        2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
        1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Farkus,
          Its really sensitive to height. I have mine much higher on the low string side.
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Farkus, if it doesn't fit the bill for you, I'll take it off your hands....

I just dropped my bridge C8 in last night, and it does what I was hoping for. It has that singing, transparent midrange of the PATB series, yet with a crisp attack and sparkly high end. I find it very chewy in the low end and low mids and never cloudy, which I love. I find that it can pull off some old school EVH pretty well....I am impressed!
            Last edited by Binnerscot; 07-09-2007, 05:46 PM.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy135 View Post
              Beware with guitarzan he is a boogieholic
              Gordo!!!! Good to see you bro. Where have you been?

Comment

Ok more gushing about the Crazy 8... The more I play it, the more I like it and the more I discover with it.. I find it very inspiring. I get pinch harmonics so easy EVERYWHERE. I tried something.. I rolled the tone OFF and was chugging on the low E and hitting the harmonic. Gives me this neat little growl that sounds very industrial. (M Manson ish...) I just wanted to share since Im not seeing much feedback about the pup..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                  Ok more gushing about the Crazy 8... The more I play it, the more I like it and the more I discover with it.. I find it very inspiring. I get pinch harmonics so easy EVERYWHERE. I tried something.. I rolled the tone OFF and was chugging on the low E and hitting the harmonic. Gives me this neat little growl that sounds very industrial. (M Manson ish...) I just wanted to share since Im not seeing much feedback about the pup..
                  Thanx for the cool review bro!
                  I am still waiting for mine!
                  www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Mine shiped today so--. I will yell when it gets here and I get it installed later this week.
                    Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Okay, I worked with it for a few hours yesterday, did a lot of height adjustment and so on. I did tame the issue I was having with the bass by lowering it A LOT. Also, I think I did figure out part of the issue...is it just me or is this pickup HOT or what? I know what the resistance says, but it seems super hot...I think it was driving my preamp too hard (for my tone anyway). I backed off the gain and my opinon of the pup really went up. Still sounds great and articulate on the highs and more balanced on the low end with the gain decreased. Of course, it could be just that I 'got my E strings back', lol.

I still need more time with it...it's very sensitive to adjustment.
                      2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                      1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Originally posted by Farkus View Post
                        Okay, I worked with it for a few hours yesterday, did a lot of height adjustment and so on. I did tame the issue I was having with the bass by lowering it A LOT. Also, I think I did figure out part of the issue...is it just me or is this pickup HOT or what? I know what the resistance says, but it seems super hot...I think it was driving my preamp too hard (for my tone anyway). I backed off the gain and my opinon of the pup really went up. Still sounds great and articulate on the highs and more balanced on the low end with the gain decreased.

I still need more time with it...it's very sensitive to adjustment.
                        Well, again, if you don't end up liking it....just PM me....

If I would have had a chance to play it before the deadline, I would have ordered a few more.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

i'll echo what everyone else is saying in that adjusting the height has a very noticable effect...i had to cut my pup springs in half and use half on each side to get it where i wanted it. sounds much better now, and i definately can't wait to either route a hole into my strats guard to fit it, or maybe just buy a new guard.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravensha View Post
                            As with most things ... some people are going to like it, and others not.
                            It is also a subjective question depending on what guitar, what amp and whatever else the signal might be running through.

But regardless, isn't it cool that Seymour Duncan as a company is willing to take input from customers ... wind a few ... and make them available?

I think it is pretty awesome.
                            Few companies these days give their customers that much attention.
                            Very true.

That is the type of customer service that wins loyalty. It is winning mine and I have been a DMZ fan.

Comment

Yes, the pup is very sensitive to height.. By the same token, its also sensitive to attack too. Very expressive. I DO find that it really pushes the front of the amp like a hot pickup. Roll down the volume knob on the guitar..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Thanx for bringing it by,Bryan!
                                Really enjoyed the Demo,I'd love to play it thru the "real" rig...
                                "Scalloped & Stickered"
                                A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Working...
                                X