Got My Crazy 8 Today!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Got My Crazy 8 Today!!!!

That's odd you mention Vernor Reid tone. I remember years ago people trashed Vernon's tone as one of the worst over compressed ****ty tone. I kinda like his tone but I generally go counter to what is popular so don't go by me.

Comment

I love vernor reid's tone, but I'd never be happy having that tone for myself. It is compressed and sterile sounding, but it's cool.
      Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

Vernon is an EMG guy... This pickup has a ton of upper mids and WILL cut through live there is no doubting that. It likes my Dual Rec's more than my Marshall JCM2K. It tends to bring out more character in the Mesa's. Something I had trouble with when using the Custom 5 through these amps. I do like the split coils sound with the PATB-1n I have in the neck it has a very HIFI quality.

Comment

Originally posted by _Guitarzan_ View Post
          . I do like the split coils sound with the PATB-1n I have in the neck it has a very HIFI quality.
          That's typical for the PATB PUs..
          Typical PATB sounds is
          Clear under hi-gain
          Hi-fi quality
          a wide range of nice harmonics
          A very long lasting sustain
          Altough it has lot's of highs ,fat sounding
          And a different "magnetic field" that mirrors on string reaction to playing.
          www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

I received my invoice today.
            Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
            https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
            Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Been playing with mine today. I disconnected the middle pickup. So in the neck is a Juanita wound Jazz (2 conductor), and the Crazy 8 in the bridge.

It rocks!

Comment

Anyone gonna try it in the neck?

Comment

Originally posted by Ravensha View Post

Been playing with mine today. I disconnected the middle pickup. So in the neck is a Juanita wound Jazz (2 conductor), and the Crazy 8 in the bridge.

It rocks!
                  it comes with an autograph?
                  Guitars:
                  Schecter E-1 FR S (Sustaniac/Apocalypse), LEF EXP (Mayhem Set), Schecter C-1 Classic (Jazz/Distortion), Squire Affinity Strat (Hotrails)

Amps:
                  Peavey MX VTX, Bugera 333x Infinium

Pedals:
                  AMT SS-11B

Comment

ok here's a comparison clip for you guys.

It's just a little track I've been trying to lay out the structure on for a couple of days.

On the left is an SH-6 on the right is the crazy 8. Same guitar (my warmoth build korina strat) EXACT same settings on the amp (bogner shiva dirt channel B9 M6 T6 P6 Gain7 Vol7 Master 2) Mesa recto cab 2x12 w/v30's. Mic'd with a Senneheiser e906 through an m-audio 410 into garageband. Just a touch of reverb added to each. The only thing that changed between takes was the pickup.

I played with the crazy 8 for a few hours before i slapped in the JB trembucker i also had on deck. The Crazy8 is a very shreddy pickup! The upper mids just kind of made me solo like a freak for a while. I think it recorded really well and cut better than the Distortion (left channel) but was a tad too fizzy for me since i tend to "rock out" more than "burn burn burn" these days.

I think if i built a true 80's superstrat i would use the crazy 8 in it as it really excelled at that kind of cutting yet still pretty smooth tone and really came into its own soloing.. sorry i didn't record any wankery before i swapped it for the JB!
                    --------------------------------------------------------
                    "Have a good time .... all the time. That's my philosophy Marty."
                    Viv Savage 1980

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1 View Post
                      You received the Crazy 8 pickups in Saudi Arabia already? International shipping is quicker than I thought.
                      It surprised me too, wasn't expecting to see them for another couple of weeks at least.
                      Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by pixelpusher View Post

It's just a little track I've been trying to lay out the structure on for a couple of days.

On the left is an SH-6 on the right is the crazy 8. Same guitar (my warmoth build korina strat) EXACT same settings on the amp (bogner shiva dirt channel B9 M6 T6 P6 Gain7 Vol7 Master 2) Mesa recto cab 2x12 w/v30's. Mic'd with a Senneheiser e906 through an m-audio 410 into garageband. Just a touch of reverb added to each. The only thing that changed between takes was the pickup.

I played with the crazy 8 for a few hours before i slapped in the JB trembucker i also had on deck. The Crazy8 is a very shreddy pickup! The upper mids just kind of made me solo like a freak for a while. I think it recorded really well and cut better than the Distortion (left channel) but was a tad too fizzy for me since i tend to "rock out" more than "burn burn burn" these days.

I think if i built a true 80's superstrat i would use the crazy 8 in it as it really excelled at that kind of cutting yet still pretty smooth tone and really came into its own soloing.. sorry i didn't record any wankery before i swapped it for the JB!
                        No offence... but it would have been nice if you would have "solo'd like a freak" on the clip, I was interested in the lead tone of it most of all. I'm kinda confused as to why you have an SH-6 distortion on the left channel too, thought it was a clip of the crazy 8.

Seems kind of odd that so far no one has gave a raving opinion of the crazy 8.
                        Last edited by Mephis; 06-24-2007, 01:44 AM.
                        Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

Thanx alot!A very nice clip.The comparison is nice and the sound quality is perfect!
                          www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

clips.

Originally Posted by Mephis
                            I wish I could give you the 5 star rating, but this and the pgn are the only aftermarket pickups I have ever tried......and I love both of them way more than the stock pickups. I also apologize for not having the skills necessary to solo like a freak, though in the right hands, I'm sure this pickup would really wail.

Comment

Originally posted by Mephis View Post
                              No offence... but it would have been nice if you would have "solo'd like a freak" on the clip, I was interested in the lead tone of it most of all. I'm kinda confused as to why you have an SH-6 distortion on the left channel too, thought it was a clip of the crazy 8.

no offense taken... i am more interested in the tones i use most of the time and so that's what i recorded to compare..

The SH-6 is there in the left channel so there is a frame of reference for comparison to the crazy 8 and you can pan back and forth to hear the differences (or use headphones.. the tracks are hard panned left and right). A clip of the pickup by itself is nice but not as useful due to variance in mic placement amp settings etc. but with a bit of a "control group" you can hear what the crazy 8 has to offer in comparison.
                              --------------------------------------------------------
                              "Have a good time .... all the time. That's my philosophy Marty."
                              Viv Savage 1980

Comment

no offense taken... i am more interested in the tones i use most of the time and so that's what i recorded to compare..

The SH-6 is there in the left channel so there is a frame of reference for comparison to the crazy 8 and you can pan back and forth to hear the differences (or use headphones.. the tracks are hard panned left and right). A clip of the pickup by itself is nice but not as useful due to variance in mic placement amp settings etc. but with a bit of a "control group" you can hear what the crazy 8 has to offer in comparison.

Yea I was covering my speaker trying to block out the distortion because I thought the stereo pan would blend the channels, but evidently it doesn't.

It sounds like it'd be good for hair metal rythym like poison or something. I can't get any idea how the lead tone would be, I'd assume pretty JB like but maybe more solid.

Originally posted by JustWendell View Post
                                http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=717621

clips.

I wish I could give you the 5 star rating, but this and the pgn are the only aftermarket pickups I have ever tried......and I love both of them way more than the stock pickups. I also apologize for not having the skills necessary to solo like a freak, though in the right hands, I'm sure this pickup would really wail.
                                That actually gave me a more direct indication of what it sounds like than pixel's clip. Very raw and harsh, ceramic but with more high mids and not the cloudy undertone.
                                Last edited by Mephis; 06-24-2007, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X