• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Got My Crazy 8 Today!!!!

Mine came today now need to install.

Comment

After hearing these clips I think its sounds like a really cool pickup, almost like an improved distortion, but not what I was looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
        That's because there are only a handful of them installed in the world. Give it time.

My credit card was charged late last week (surprising because the ship date on my invoice said July 17). I suppose I'll get it sometime this week. Now all I need is a guitar to put it in.
        Wonder how many of them are actually being made? Ive got a pair coming!!!
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Mephis View Post
          It sounds like it'd be good for hair metal rythym like poison or something. I can't get any idea how the lead tone would be, I'd assume pretty JB like but maybe more solid

So you think i can get a tone like Nuno Bettencourt's of Extreme? with crazy harmonics??
          http://www.myspace.com/nunoslasher

Comment

I just put mine in. I played it tonight with my band and it sounds great. I love it!!!!
            -Greg

Guitars:
            2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
            2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
            2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
            Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Anyone else install theirs?

Comment

I got mine yesterday. Initially, I intended on installing it in my LP to replace the JB in the bridge, but now I've decided to drop it in my Kramer Focus, replacing the stock bucker that's in there now. Should be good for some fun guitar wankage.

- Keith
                Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                I am just jug the merlot

Comment

brown just left dropping off my Crazy 8s!!!!!!! One is going into Batman (Charvel 4) tonight!!!
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Ok.... Loaded in a Charvel 4. First impression.... Interesting is the first thing that comes to mind. Its slightly unlike what Ive heard before. Definately has its own unique character. Low E has a nice fat chunky to it. So you can thump and chunk with authority. But what makes it unique is the Eq seems Hi mid focused. Its not shrill and not at all middy like a CC. But this is a soloists pickup. Lots of cut. Ive never played a full shred but this is what I think it would sound like based on what Ive hear about it. But single notes and all cut thru with conviction. When playing midbased chords like A or any power chords on the middle four strings, I get a slight over tone like a wah pedal opened up.. (Sounds like a dimarzio description huh?). The tone is not warm and buttery, but not harsh. has a bit of Hi fi tonality to it.
                    I forgot to mention, harmonics are WAY abundant!!! Zakk squeals on the low E are a breeze..
                    It drives the front of the amp pretty well but is very sensitive to picking. A hard pluck and it grinds, soften up and you get a softer output.

This is a neat pickup and great in this application. I WAS going to say: this isnt a pickup I would put in all my guitars like I would a C5 or CC. But, definately a keeper for lead playing and for something slightly the beaten path! BUT.... The more I play it, the more usable it is. It is VERy sensitive to hieght and picking strength, So before you write it off,make sure you adjust and experiment.
                    If I could change one thing, Id like to be able to bring the A and D strings up alittle.
                    But all in all, Im happy! Been fun to create and will be fun creating music on it.

Id be curious to know if Seymour or Evan played one and what they think..??

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                      Id be curious to know if Seymour or Evan played one and what they think..??
                      Good review all around, but I'd so love to hear Seymour's absolutely unadulterated opinions on all of his pups.

Comment

"Id like to be able to bring the A and D strings up alittle. "

That's one thing that makes me think twice about PATB pups - no adjustment of individual poles. I find that a real useful tool esp for bridge pickups.
                        USACG Superstrat - Duncan JB & Jazz
                        USACG Tele, Fender '52 neck & nocaster bridge
                        Fender Deluxe Strat Duncan Noiseless Plus (4/4/7)
                        PRS Tremonti SE, PafPro & Duncan 59n
                        Charvel/frankenstrat, Duncan A2Pros

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Z View Post
                          "Id like to be able to bring the A and D strings up alittle. "

That's one thing that makes me think twice about PATB pups - no adjustment of individual poles. I find that a real useful tool esp for bridge pickups.
                          Understood.. But Ive found that the PATB pups normally dont have any drops that need balanced. I think its just the tone curve on this one. Again its great for leads, I just would like alittle more low mids.. BUT.. I never liked CC before either cuz I wanted the fat bottom of the C5. Now I love the CC and Im finding the more I play the Crazy 8, the more I like it. Its just one of those things I have to get used to the difference.

When I had my PATB 3 I didnt need to bring any strings out. They knew what they were doing with the poles... so dont fear that.. This one is just different..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Oh man, the more I read about it the more it sounds like my dream pickup, and the more I get pissed for having to wait about two months to get mine...

I was so unlucky that the very day my pickup was ready the local dealer received their last order and the next one will be in about 1 and a half months...

Darn...
                            Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
                            I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
                            Originally posted by That90'sGuy
                            Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

I finally found the victim to stick my "standard spaced" Crazy 8 Trembucker in. A Jackson DX6 beater fixed bridge string through body. It has the mediocre Duncan Designed in it now and has been basically unplayed since I bought it. This will give me a good reason to play it with the Crazy 8 in it. I am thinking a Pearly Gates bridge for the neck or a jazz/59 hybrid. I will do the swap tomorrow.

Funny thing is the Crazy 8 cost more than the guitar itself. haha.
                              Last edited by Fusion1; 06-29-2007, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Mine shipped today (I think, the charge went through). I am really looking forward to these. From the description, it does seem like might be able to get some VH-esque tones?

I know the C5 pretty well, I have it in three guitars. How does the C8 compare so far?
                                Originally posted by LesStrat
                                Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Working...
                                X