banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dimarzio Fast Track 1 and Chopper Review (long and detailed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio Fast Track 1 and Chopper Review (long and detailed)

my goal is to have 1 guitar do strat, les paul, and tele tones in that order, strat being the most important. no hum allowed. ambitious i know. my goal was not to convince the "tone gods", but have a lot good tones ready to go at the finger tips. this review is the result of months of research/reading and sleepless nights. part of the reason i'm doing this review is that i've taken so much info from this forum (and others) and i wish to give back a bit.

first of i would like share one of the BEST guitar gadgets i've ever used. the strat has a 5 way switch. in my opinion 4 of the 5 are useful tones. however, my opinion the middle pickup by itself is useless. you can do a neck on switch, but i find that clumsy.

hence the schaller megaswitch E, which allows

1) neck
    2) neck + mid
    3) neck + bridge
    4) mid + bridge
    5) bridge

neck + bridge is WAY more cool and usefull than just the mid pickup by itself. the space between the neck and bridge pickup is the key for nailing a tele tone.

i also went with the fender tbx, but i used the mod found in this forum. a .0022 cap for the bass cut and a .015 for the treble cut (clapton women tone).

i also used the Rothstein RG500D Custom Taper "Orange" Midrange Shaper with Center Detent. (www.guitar-mod.com). it scoops mid when you turn it down and cuts bass and treble when you turn it up.

the strat tones i'm going for is hendrix, but i dont want to tune down. i mess with keyboards a bit and i dont want guitar tunings to mess with my "perfect pitch". i dont have perfect pitch, but i keep trying. if i pickup a strat with vintage pickups, and tune down. sounds great! but vintage pickups with standard tuning sound thin to me. which is prob why hendrix/srv tuned down.

so i want vintage plus a more. i dont want to pull off crazy train or metal tones, so between single coil and humbucker. that is a HARD place to be. too many options and too much gray area. very frustrating.

i wanted rail pickups because i bend a lot and i didnt want to worry about string spacing. i went with dimarzio because i felt SD didnt have the rail pickups i'm looking for. from what i've read and heard from clips ; the cool rails dont have enough treble. the hot rails are too hot. the vintage rails are too piercing. i felt the fast track 1 had a nice treble spike and good mid and bass. the chopper looked good too because it had a treble spike and strong mid and bass, but would retain some stratness.

i put a SD hot stack in the middle position. i had the hot stack in the "pickup pile".

a few solder burns later. .. . . .

the fast track 1 in the neck is pretty amazing. it still has a nice treble top end, but has amazing bass response. i would not say mud, but i would say a very smooth buttery deep end. so i get some of that strings tuned down bass while still staying in standard 440. i could see myself going for the dimarzio cruiser in the neck, but i'm not sure it would keep up with the chopper.

the chopper in the bridge is awesome. it is exactly what i was hoping for. modern rock in the bridge. not crazy hot or mid for metal. i can also hit some zz top heavy tones. its almost a distortion pickup, but not quite.

Re: Dimarzio Fast Track 1 and Chopper Review (long and detailed)

( continued )

enough words!!! bring on the clip!

in sections

1) neck
    2) bridge
    3) neck + bridge
    4) mid + bridge
    5) neck + mid
    6) vintage, neck + bridge, bass cut with tbx, mid shaper turned up
    7) tele, neck + bridge, tbx bass cut, mid cut
    8) mini song

i'm using a behringer v amp 2 (dont like the unit btw) straight to a mbox. for ALL these tones i DID NOT TOUCH THE VAMP. i'm using the "ultimate v amp" with EQ pretty close to flat and the gain at 60%. the guitar tones in the song DID NOT use any EQ. i have a delay on 1 gtr track. no reverb at all.

my playing sucks right,,, sorry, ,, but a first try on the solo. a lot of flubs but i wasnt going for a grammy on this one. i have not been able to practice like i've wanted to lately.

overall i'm VERY happy. i wish i a had a different mid pickup but i'm outa money. i would like a middle pickup with more clarity. if i had to do it all over i would like to try the cruiser in the neck with the fast track 1 in the bridge and some vintage noiseless type in the middle. the TBX is only half useful. i think i could live without a normal tone control (treb cut) and just have a dedicated bass cut (the top half of the tbx). the mid shaper would probably be more effective on weaker pickups. i would like to try the guitar-mod varitone thingie.

dimarzio is proud that these things do not pull on the strings which i thought was a silly notion. i dont know how they do it but the dimarzio magnets seem to totally ignore the strings. kinda like trying to pick up a penny with a magnet. your brain says metal and a magnet should pick it up, but it just doesnt. the hot stack in the middle with its huge magnet was a string black hole. still dont know if "string pull" affects tone or not, but the dimarzio's dont pull strings as advertised.

dimarzio says these things have been out since the lower 90's. i think we've been missing out. these are the first dimarzio's i've ever owned. i've had SD's (usually). from what i've read and heard, dimarzio pickups would seem to have an aggressive eq tone in them, whereas SD's let the guitar do the work. so if i had a well built les paul i could see myself dropping duncans in them. if i had a cheapo or squire guitar i could see myself putting in dimarzios.

sorry for the long post!!!!!! but compared to how many times i've read this forum its nothing.

Comment

Great job!!!!!

Interesting read and I dig the playing.

I thought of putting a FT1 between an Air Norton and a Breed in my Ibanez RG..do you think it would sound cool?
      Originally posted by Guitarist
      Honestly, I like Scott's words. "There is a rhythm to life. Ride the waves."

And keep in mind that while nothing lasts forever, nothing is lost.
      http://soundcloud.com/adrian-czarnecki/tracks

Comment

according to dimarzio website they recommend a chopper or cruiser with the air norton. i would think of the fast track 1 as in between the chopper and cruiser. so a fast track 1 would probably work. the air norton and breed are too hot for my taste, but i would think you crank the presence on the preamp to get some high outa those heavy pickups. so i would think that if you drop a cruiser in there your going to get a sudden ice pick attack when you combine it or iso it. i think the chopper would be redundant with those pickups. so a fast track 1 might be a good choice. not too high, but clean enough for some clean tones, and the output would probably keep up with the breed/air nortons, and the bass end would keep up as well. and i know you wont have to worry about string pull (still not sure that is a big deal or not, but there it is).

disclaimer :: as i've said these are the first dimarzio's i've ever owned. i'm just combining my experience of buying/selling guitars and what i've researched.

Comment

Great review...I use the Chopper in the bridge, Cruiser bridge in the middle and a ProTrack in the neck...Try this set up if you have the chance!

Comment

Originally posted by prophetofthor View Post
            according to dimarzio website they recommend a chopper or cruiser with the air norton. i would think of the fast track 1 as in between the chopper and cruiser. so a fast track 1 would probably work. the air norton and breed are too hot for my taste, but i would think you crank the presence on the preamp to get some high outa those heavy pickups. so i would think that if you drop a cruiser in there your going to get a sudden ice pick attack when you combine it or iso it. i think the chopper would be redundant with those pickups. so a fast track 1 might be a good choice. not too high, but clean enough for some clean tones, and the output would probably keep up with the breed/air nortons, and the bass end would keep up as well. and i know you wont have to worry about string pull (still not sure that is a big deal or not, but there it is).

disclaimer :: as i've said these are the first dimarzio's i've ever owned. i'm just combining my experience of buying/selling guitars and what i've researched.
            Wow, thanks for the input!

Yeah, AN and Breed are very hot..for me nowadays too. When I bought the pups I wanted high output pups..today, I wouldn't go further than a medium output pup. Perhaps I'll change the 2 humbuckers someday.

FT1 looks really cool.
            Originally posted by Guitarist
            Honestly, I like Scott's words. "There is a rhythm to life. Ride the waves."

And keep in mind that while nothing lasts forever, nothing is lost.
            http://soundcloud.com/adrian-czarnecki/tracks

Comment

Thanks for the review and clips! Very much appreciated!

Comment

very nice thread! nice clip too!
                I have a strat being build right now, alder, maple neck/fboard, and it has H-S-S config, im thinking of putting dimarzio Evo2 in the bridge but i have no idea what to put in the neck&middle, what would you suggest?

Comment

well, if you've read the disclaimer. .. .

at this rate i'm gonna need a paycheck from dimarzio.

evo2 looks like a monster. i would go with the chopper in the neck/mid. ron thal uses a chopper alot in the neck position. i really dig his tones. i think he has most of his guitars wired for a "master coil cut". it taps the coil in both humbuckers. he uses a lil humbucker in the neck and full sized humbucker in the bridge. i'm sure he has a pile of guitars, but that is what i've seen him do the most of. you might get a drop in volume but the chopper has a eq curve toward the treble side, so i dont think it will get lost. for variety you can put a fast track 1 in the * MIDDLE * if you want some cleaner stuff.
                  Last edited by prophetofthor; 07-16-2007, 01:09 PM. Reason: oops, meant fast track 1 for mid pickup

Comment

Cool! I just won a Deluxe Players Strat off ebay, should be here in a couple days. I like to play heavier stuff, and I'm not sure how the Vintage Noiseless pups will be, but I've got a Chopper and two Fast Track 1s laying around that may go in. The guitar also has a push button switch for adding the bridge pup to the neck and middle positions, so it will be very versatile for me as well considering I do like the neck and bridge pups together, as well as all three pups on together.
                    I like to play in E, Eb and D, but I'm undecided what I will keep this one tuned to.

Comment

Working...
                    X