Making Pickup Routing Templates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Pickup Routing Templates

I want to make a routing template for tele pickups. Can anyone advise on how to do it ? or tell me where I can obtain info on doing this?

Re: Making Pickup Routing Templates

try PM'ing butnut. He will probably know. And welcome to the forum

Comment

I make my templates using 1/8" acrylic sheets. You can probally find template diagrams to trace onto your sheets on the web. I have Melvyin His****'s book which has many templates at the back of the book. Here's how I make mine. Take the acrylic sheet and cut out a ~6" x 6" piece then place it over the template diagram. Trace the lines onto the acrylic using a fine tip marker. I like to trace the center line as well as a 14 degree line in case I wish to have the pickup at an angle. Cut the shape inside the template roughly using a dremel and a spiral cutting bit. I then use files to form the rest of the template to the correct shape. Here's an example of a single coil template that I'm using for a guitar that I'm building.

Comment

Thanks for that, really appreciate it

Comment

stewmac sells em for 5 bucks
          it just ain't worth making your own at that point
          then just rough out will a drill rpess and stick teh template on with double sided tape and router with a template bit (bearing on the top of the cutter)
          cheers
          Custom Guitar Builder - PM me if you're interested.
          Check out the new website and see the progress of felow forumites' guitars
          www.gaugeguitars.com
          Cheers!

Comment

Working...
          X