banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switch to make mid position on HH guitar both pickups split?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch to make mid position on HH guitar both pickups split?

I have an SG, and the cavity is too shallow to install a push-pull pot, and I'm not keen on the idea of drilling a hole for a tiny switch. I was wondering if I could buy a different kind of switch to replace my current one which would keep the neck and bridge positions the way they are, but make it so that the mid position is both pickups split and in series (or parallel, but preferably series).

Thanks for any help,
    Jacob

Re: Switch to make mid position on HH guitar both pickups split?

Originally posted by wasteofo2
    I have an SG, and the cavity is too shallow to install a push-pull pot, and I'm not keen on the idea of drilling a hole for a tiny switch. I was wondering if I could buy a different kind of switch to replace my current one which would keep the neck and bridge positions the way they are, but make it so that the mid position is both pickups split and in series (or parallel, but preferably series).

Thanks for any help,
    Jacob
    The original PRS CEs were set up like that, it was a similar looking toggle, but metal I believe, basically it's a on/on/on DPDT switch with a shorter and fatter *bat* ... looked like a LP toggle just made out of metal and a bit wider and a bit shorter ... if you have the standard 90 degree switchcraft toggle in that SG it should fit fine. Check PRS parts first, tell e'm you want the one used in the earlier CEs (it had series strat as it'a middle position) ... If you can't find it there I know a similar one that will do the job, but I'll have to go diggin' for it. Check them first, what you depending on what coils you want on you may have to either filp the magnet or reverse mount one pup.
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by wasteofo2

Thanks for any help,
      Jacob
      Do you mean you want "LP style" switch, like the inner or outer coils of both pups split together, or something else... not sure I quite understand *shrugs*
      • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
      • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
      • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
      • G&L Tribute Comanche
      • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
      • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
      • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I have an Ibanez JPM that has that exact wiring. You can get the switch from Dimarzio. It's a 4PDT 3-way switch. Part # EP1111. Go to Dimarzio's site, hardware and it should be listed under miscellaneous electrical parts. I think guitarelectronics.com has a similiar switch as well.
        Here's a link to a wiring diagram that might be helpful

Dimarzio should have the diagram as well on their site.

Hope this helps

Comment

What you can also do is to wire your SG to master volume/master tone and use the other two pots as spin-a-splits. I know it's completely different, but it gives you more tonal options.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by drp555
            I have an Ibanez JPM that has that exact wiring. You can get the switch from Dimarzio. It's a 4PDT 3-way switch. Part # EP1111. Go to Dimarzio's site, hardware and it should be listed under miscellaneous electrical parts. I think guitarelectronics.com has a similiar switch as well.
            Here's a link to a wiring diagram that might be helpful

Dimarzio should have the diagram as well on their site.

Hope this helps
            True enough, but you only need a DPDT on/on/on switch, not 4PDT on/on/on to do it ... again check with PRS or just find any on/on/on DPDT switch that has a big enough *bat* not to look goofy as a pup selector switch ... I'm pretty sure PRS carries it still, it won't cost as much as a 4 pole switch will.
            It will allow the series coil connection that you want.
            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
            X