59N Pickup Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59N Pickup Question?

Was fooling around with the 59N neck pickup on my strat,height adjustments,etc(has PG bridge) and realized it sounds better than the PG in the bridge spot,only thing is its really Bassy sounding and alittle to hollow.
    Otherwise has a real full biting clicky sound (Hendrix,Trower,Blackmore,etc)not thin like the bridge.I played for 2 hrs cause I was loving it.
    Playing through FENDER HOT ROD DELUXE into MARSHALL 1936 2/12 CAB and have the treble almost all the way up and Bass on about 3.
    Strat has Rosewood Neck,Alder body.
    I lowered the pickup even with the pickguard,tried up higher but sounded horrible,any suggestions out there? Pickup change?
    Would like to be able to play all styles in this position as its to hard going back and forth.When I switch to PG pickup its real thin then because of settings on amp.Would a EQ helpout?
    Thanx alot,if anyone can help.

Re: 59N Pickup Question?

Try an Alnico II mag in your 59 and trade your PG for a CC. That should give you a nice blend of tones that will balance well i both positions.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
      Try an Alnico II mag in your 59 and trade your PG for a CC. That should give you a nice blend of tones that will balance well i both positions.

Thanx,Where would I get the Alnico II mag and is it hard to do?
      CC is Custom Custom?Sorry Im not real familiar with SD pickups.

Comment

Swapping mags isn't hard to do, you just loosen the four small screws that hold the bobbins to the baseplate and push the magnet out gently. The CC is indeed the Custom Custom. Where to get an alnico II mag? I got mine out of a Gibson 57 classic. I have no first hand experience in buying alnico II mags, you might want to ask others in this forum or post a thread asking about this. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

If you liked the 59 neck in the bridge position, get the fatter brother of the 59 bridge, the Custom 5. Then, put your 59 neck back where it was. C-5/59 is a great combo, and since they're both Alnico 5, you'll have big, tight lows, natural sounding mids, and clear and present highs. Plus, if you decide later that you want a darker sounding bridge pickup, you can put an Alnico 2 magnet in the C-5, turning it into a Custom Custom.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
            If you liked the 59 neck in the bridge position, get the fatter brother of the 59 bridge, the Custom 5. Then, put your 59 neck back where it was. C-5/59 is a great combo, and since they're both Alnico 5, you'll have big, tight lows, natural sounding mids, and clear and present highs. Plus, if you decide later that you want a darker sounding bridge pickup, you can put an Alnico 2 magnet in the C-5, turning it into a Custom Custom.

Thanx for the help everyone,the 59n is in the neck spot right now,sorry to confuse everyone.
            Any single coils a good choice for neck spot?I can go that route to.

Comment

Working...
            X