Pick Up Rec for Koa Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick Up Rec for Koa Strat

After looking over all of the various pick-ups on the web page I thought I would go to the forum to get some input. I have a "Warmouth" Koa strat, solid piece of Koa wood including Koa neck. Currently has EMG pick-ups that sound a little anemic. I play in a cover band that plays Clapton, Zeppelin, Stones, but also play some funky versions of "I Wish," Superstition." (a few examples).

The pick ups are sing-sing-hum (that's neck-middle-bridge of course). I would appreciated any input, I am ready for a change.

Mark

Re: Pick Up Rec for Koa Strat

APS-1's with a APH-1 in the bridge. Well, you'd have to wait for someone to comment on the bridge, I'm no good at full sized buckers. I think that with the A2 you can cure the anemia problem. Hope this helps bro.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Koa is a pretty warm wood, very similar to mahogany. So I'd look at something with a little top end; JB, Custom, Distortion come to mind.

Comment

I just put a Pearly Gates in the bridge position of my koa DC-135T (Carvin) after playing it next to my recently tweaked Brian Moore). Definite improvement in tone over the Carvin p/u. The Pearly Gates has enough top end (more than the M22T) to push out that single coil crispness, and in humbucker mode, the treble and upper mids really seem to balance out the warmth of the koa (which seems to have a slightly higher voice than mahogany does).

One thing I was very pleasntly surprised by was that I didn't lose that really warm, singing tone I got with the Carvin p/u which really let the wood's tone shine through (due to it's relatively "flat" response). I actually think it's a better fit on the Carvin than on the Brian Moore where it can sometimes have a bit more treble than I might need at times.

I also have a Hot Rails in the neck which get's nice and clear in single coil mode (but not really "Strat-spanky") and very warm in humbucker mode, maybe a bit over-warm, but it get's a great warm tone with distortion (nicer than the Hot Rails in the neck of my TexMex Strat).

Brett
        Hamer XT Sunburst Archtop Flame- Phat Cats; Hamer Sunburst Archtop Quilted- Jazz(n)/Pearly Gates(b); Brian Moore i21 - Alnico 2 Pro(n)/Pearly Gates(b); Tex Mex Strat - Classic Stack(n)/Lil' 59(b); Carvin DC135T - used oval HotRails(n)/CustomCustom(b); '68 Gibson ES-335 - Jazz(b); RI Fender Bass VI (bari-electric Hot Rails bridge?); Standard Tele-Ash(SE)pickups?

Comment

Working...
        X