Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PGs instead of '59s ?

Hey dudes!

Just wondering... I was going to swap the JB in my LP for a much smoother, vintage one, like a '59... (already have a '59n) .... but I was considering a PG set too....

Any approval ?
    Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Re: PGs instead of '59s ?

The 59 is pretty raw, and more transparent than the PG. The PG sounds great for clean picking and both pickups sound nice and open when distorted. The only thing I don't like about the PG is the certain upper mid emphasis that is has when you solo up the neck. I am not saying that it sounds bad, but I just don't care for it with my style.

I like the 59 over the PG but I really like the Seth Lover for vintage tone even more than those. It seems to have certain characteristics of both.
    My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

the 59 won't give you smooth thats for sure I have on in my les paul and it is anything but smooth. I was going to go to a jb cause I thought it was smoother mabey I need to rethink my plans too.

Comment

I much preffe the PG over the 59 in a LP. I don't like the bigger lows and extended highs of the 59. I much preffer mids in my sound.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

PG is better in the neck, 59 in the brideg.

Comment

The Custom 5 coulda been called the 59 Hot. A great, great combo is the C-5/59.
            You won't regret that combo in almost any type of guitar. The C-5 sits right between the 59 and the JB, making it perfect to my ears.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Hey Thames, I dunno about your tastes regarding hb but I'd rather have PGs in all my guitars than have one guitar with a JB... PGs are such great versatile pick-ups it's hard to go wrong IMO... I don't mean that the JB's a bad pick-up, just far from my cup of tea...

Comment

I would like to try out the PG... if the EMG 81 doesn't work for me maybe I'll give it a shot.
                • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                • G&L Tribute Comanche
                • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I'd never leave out a Custom when people start talking PAF-styled pups. It may not have the lower output or quite as much openness, but it still has a vibe to it. Dan Hawkins digs it. Men what do rock, baby.
                  Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                  Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                  Originally posted by Sosomething
                  "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

If mids are a concern with the PG for your taste, don't overlook the APH II bridge pickup. It's got such an even, creamy, balanced sound....it's hard to beat IMO. The neck is also my favorite...with the Seth running a close second.

If you want to keep the 59' in the neck, I'd think a PG would be better in the bridge. I've also found that I love the PG clean in the neck, but overdriven it's a little upper mid heavy for my taste...or I just haven't found the right guitar for it.

APH/59'
                    PG/59'

Good places to start.
                    My Sound Clips

Comment

Guess what dudes ?
                      I've made it... not with the '59... nor the PG set....

but Seths!! Aaaah.. those lovely ones... I had a set in my SG a while ago... and I miss 'em soo much since....
                      Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Dude didn't you have an antiquity bridge with an a5 magnet. So you know how 59b sounds. It just sounds a little less open, less 3d in comparison to an a5 ant.

I love PGs, great pickups. Seths are really nice, but I wished they came hotter.

B
                        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Barlo, no I never tried the mod... I should have! but too late!

I loved the Seths so much in the past that I cant pass on this deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Thames
                            Barlo, no I never tried the mod... I should have! but too late!

I loved the Seths so much in the past that I cant pass on this deal.
                            My bad!

B
                            FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by Thames
                              but Seths!! Aaaah.. those lovely ones...
                              Excellent choice I am really leary about replacing my Seth bridge with anything else these days. I really like it.
                              My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Working...
                              X