Atomic Punks guitarist uses a JB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atomic Punks guitarist uses a JB

I recently saw the Roth-era VH tribute band and was curious as to what pup the guitarist Russ had in his 'Frankenstrat'. There has been much discussion here on which pup for the VH tone so I asked Russ and he referred me to Wayne Charvel, who built his guitar.

Wayne e-mailed me and said it was a TB-4 (JB).

Seems most here recommend the '59 or CC but looks like many SD pups will get you in the ballpark with a good amp.

Just thought I'd share if anyone was interested in the topic.
    Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Re: Atomic Punks guitarist uses a JB

Russ Parrish is one of the old school shredders, I believe he was on some of the Shrapnel or Metal Blade stuff for Mike Varney. He is a very talented guy!!! I do find it kind of hard to believe that he would not know what he had in his EVH strat though. He has been around the "block a few times", and probably just did not want to talk about it , which is silly. He is in several cover band, Rush, Van Halen, etc, and also his real band which is called the THORNBIRDS. I have more than a few guitars ( like most of us here) and I seem to know what pickups are in each one.......

Cool guy too.

Comment

Russ is the replacement for Brian, the previous guitarist in the Atomic Punks who was recruited by David Lee Roth. He ALSO used the JB in his axe...
      BTW... I have not seen them in a while and the lineup has changed a bit... my buddy used to be the bass player... are they still just absolutely unbelievable?
      GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

They are still great, I saw them at HOB in Anaheim a couple weeks ago. They actually deviated from all VH stuff and threw in some Breaking the Chains, Crazy Train, and other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by OUTLAW1969
          Russ Parrish is one of the old school shredders, I believe he was on some of the Shrapnel or Metal Blade stuff for Mike Varney. He is a very talented guy!!! I do find it kind of hard to believe that he would not know what he had in his EVH strat though. He has been around the "block a few times", and probably just did not want to talk about it , which is silly. He is in several cover band, Rush, Van Halen, etc, and also his real band which is called the THORNBIRDS. I have more than a few guitars ( like most of us here) and I seem to know what pickups are in each one.......

Cool guy too.

http://www.theatomicpunks.com/
          Well, he said it was a Seymour Duncan but referred to Charvel for the model. He played for Rob Halford also though I forgot the name of the band.

FWIW he's got a band called The Thornbirds who are at Tower Records in Sherman Oaks, CA tonite at 6.
          Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

Tattoed Carrot, Sounds like they blended another one of their cover band gigs into the same show, the other band they have is called Metal Shop . ( might of changed their name to Metal Skool, now due to lawsuits!, but I think it is the exact same members). That is pretty cool that they were doing their VH gig, and threw in some of the Metal Shop stuff. He is a great guitar player.

SoCalSteve, I forgot that he was in Fight with Rob Halford. They rocked too!

He is almost like Reb Beach in the way that he plays with anybody and everybody, in order to just play get to play.

Comment

Working...
            X