No announcement yet.

"After-market wire-kits" - worth it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "After-market wire-kits" - worth it ?

Last time I checked I think the up charge on our kits are just a couple bucks over the cost of the individual parts. I think the RS kits with Orange drops are pretty reasonable too if you take into account the special taper pots. If you want boutique capacitors that can really raise the price a lot.

Best plan is to look at all the kits versus individual part cost and I don't think the up charge is really that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Wymore Guitars View Post
      Last time I checked I think the up charge on our kits are just a couple bucks over the cost of the individual parts. I think the RS kits with Orange drops are pretty reasonable too if you take into account the special taper pots. If you want boutique capacitors that can really raise the price a lot.
      Best plan is to look at all the kits versus individual part cost and I don't think the up charge is really that much.

Can you tell me a bit more about these "boutique" cap's please !
      I am out on a mission to make my first Gibbo sound like a true vintage guitar, albeit very useable !
      Thanks.

James
      Stoner Rock and Stoner Metal are interchangeable terms describing sub-genres of rock and metal music. Stoner rock is typically slow-to-mid tempo, low-tuned and bass-heavy. It incorporates elements of Psychedelic Rock, Blues-Rock and Doom Metal into a more repetitive and riff-centred style. Melodic vocals and 'retro' production are also common traits.

Gibson SG Special w. SD A2P's ->pedal board ->Bassman

Comment

First off, if you're going to get pots for a regular SG, then you want the short shaft pots and not the long shaft like the first RS link you posted as they would stick out very far(unless that's the look you're after).

As far as recommending where to get the stuff, I'd look first to any of the dealers on the forum as already suggested. I got my tele wiring kit from martin6strings and it's the only one of my guitars to have a hoveland cap as opposed to an orange drop or stock cap, and I would say even if the effect is minimal that I tend to notice the knobs seem more responsive to smaller turns, and are a bit smoother in sound. That being said, I've only done wiring jobs when necessary and aside from duncans, my SG is still stock and sounds great.

Comment

Originally posted by JustWendell View Post
          First off, if you're going to get pots for a regular SG, then you want the short shaft pots and not the long shaft like the first RS link you posted as they would stick out very far(unless that's the look you're after).

As far as recommending where to get the stuff, I'd look first to any of the dealers on the forum as already suggested. I got my tele wiring kit from martin6strings and it's the only one of my guitars to have a hoveland cap as opposed to an orange drop or stock cap, and I would say even if the effect is minimal that I tend to notice the knobs seem more responsive to smaller turns, and are a bit smoother in sound. That being said, I've only done wiring jobs when necessary and aside from duncans, my SG is still stock and sounds great.
          Thanx for pointing that out ...i noticed only after i posted the link - my bad !

Got any pic's you want to share with us of your SG's ???

James
          Stoner Rock and Stoner Metal are interchangeable terms describing sub-genres of rock and metal music. Stoner rock is typically slow-to-mid tempo, low-tuned and bass-heavy. It incorporates elements of Psychedelic Rock, Blues-Rock and Doom Metal into a more repetitive and riff-centred style. Melodic vocals and 'retro' production are also common traits.

Comment

Pots and caps and wires etc do not make a huge difference unless your talking about going from really really poor chinese stuff in a $200 guitar. Provided you've got decent quality stuff, as Fender, Gibson etc does use (I didn't say great, but they work fine) you will not notice a huge difference if any at all.

If I snuck in and swapped an orange drop for a bubblebee you would not notice. If you did notice then I then even EJ would say you need to be medicated LOL.

Then again I'm pretty much a show up, get the tuning close, crank the amp, take a swig of beer and start rocking type of guy more or less so perhaps I'm not one to debate the finer points of wine, cheese, or NOS vintage caps and pots.

CTS pots, orange drops etc work just fine, are 1/5th the price and you can find them anywhere. Past that its totally diminishing returns. For an extra 1% in tone you pay an extra 500% in cost.

Just like guitar cables. Does the stuff that cost $50 a foot sound 10x better than a cable thats $5 a foot ? Not hardly

Yes a quality $30 10' cable sounds worlds better than a $3.99 10' store brand cable but get past that initial quality level and things just don't change much.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to use the RS kit but with all the things in life to spend mone on, $100 for pots and wire sure would be low on my list
            -Burny Randy Rhoads LP Custom- C5/59 Hybrid Bridge/Fernades Vh-1 PAF neck
            -Epi Goldtop - Custom Shop Mike Ness p90's
            -Epi Masterbilt AJ500R rosewood
            -Fender Classic Player 60's strat CS 69'

-Gretsch Black Phoenix - TV Jones Classics
            -Danelectro Dano Pro Baritone

Comment

Originally posted by millsart View Post
              Pots and caps and wires etc do not make a huge difference unless your talking about going from really really poor chinese stuff in a $200 guitar. Provided you've got decent quality stuff, as Fender, Gibson etc does use (I didn't say great, but they work fine) you will not notice a huge difference if any at all.

If I snuck in and swapped an orange drop for a bubblebee you would not notice. If you did notice then I then even EJ would say you need to be medicated LOL.

Then again I'm pretty much a show up, get the tuning close, crank the amp, take a swig of beer and start rocking type of guy more or less so perhaps I'm not one to debate the finer points of wine, cheese, or NOS vintage caps and pots.

CTS pots, orange drops etc work just fine, are 1/5th the price and you can find them anywhere. Past that its totally diminishing returns. For an extra 1% in tone you pay an extra 500% in cost.

Just like guitar cables. Does the stuff that cost $50 a foot sound 10x better than a cable thats $5 a foot ? Not hardly

Yes a quality $30 10' cable sounds worlds better than a $3.99 10' store brand cable but get past that initial quality level and things just don't change much.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to use the RS kit but with all the things in life to spend mone on, $100 for pots and wire sure would be low on my list

Now THAT is RockN'Roll

James

Comment

I'm partial to the Mallory 150's and they're not pricey at all.
                Generic signature line.

Comment

Working...
                X