triple coil pups, the holy grail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: triple coil pups, the holy grail?

Or how about this, four mini humbucker coils in a full sized humbucker slot.

ETA: Dammit, I got beat to it.
    Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 08-01-2013, 04:58 PM.
    Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by DeanSweden View Post
      oh, how original of you...
      You're too kind. I could never be as original as YOU!

Comment

As mentioned before, Kramer made The Quadrails for awhile, which were two rail pickups combined into a humbucker. The almost universal consensus was that they were too "muddy." Theories were put forth that they may have been designed for young metalheads that were playing through transistor amps, and the brightness of those amps may have counterbalanced the muddiness of the Quadrails. I've had several Kramers with the Quadrails and while they're okay for lead playing, I also felt they were too muddy for most rhythm applications.
        Heem6
        www.HeavyMetalStrat.Proboards.com

3 Fender HM Strats * Mahogany Vandenberg w/Super Wizard neck * Kramer Baretta Infinity Sustainer * EVH B&W Replica * Mighty Mite Hard Ash Strat * 2 Hot Rodded Kramer Strikers * Custom-built Jackson San Dimas Clone * Damage Control Demonizer Tube Preamp * Lexicon MX200 Multi-Effects * Rockman Distortion Generator * Marshall DSL1-HR * VHT 1x12 Cab * Echoplex EP-1 * Ibanez Analog Delay * JOYO EQ Pedal

Comment

a few months back i saw a pup on ebay which was basically a strat sized rails humbucker with a normal single coil next to it, squished together into a humbucker mounting. as i'm planning to make a bit of a replica-ish evh 5150 clone at some point in the future I thought that the combination of 3 coils in a single bridge route could give a cool variety of tones. my plan is to grab a jbjr and a stack plus single coil and whack em side by side. that'll give me hum cancelling with all 3, jbjr, jbjr-stack hybrid, & stack on its own, and hummy split coil options as well. fingers crossed for awesomeness

Comment

Originally posted by eviltobz View Post
            a few months back i saw a pup on ebay which was basically a strat sized rails humbucker with a normal single coil next to it, squished together into a humbucker mounting. as i'm planning to make a bit of a replica-ish evh 5150 clone at some point in the future I thought that the combination of 3 coils in a single bridge route could give a cool variety of tones. my plan is to grab a jbjr and a stack plus single coil and whack em side by side. that'll give me hum cancelling with all 3, jbjr, jbjr-stack hybrid, & stack on its own, and hummy split coil options as well. fingers crossed for awesomeness
            What kind of magnets does it have? If two coils have a bar magnet on the bottom and one has rod magnets the magnetic field will be screwed up for everybody. 3x rod magnets would be even worse.

If all coils feed off the same bar magnet that might work OK. One coil would be too far away but better than having the mother of all distortion fields.

However, once you go bar magnet and passive polepieces the Strat sound is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
              the mother of all distortion fields.
              Whatch u talkin bout willis?
              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                Whatch u talkin bout willis?
                If you have a bar magnet on bottom dual-coil pickup (aka a humbucker) right next to a rod magnet single coil everybody's magnetic field gets messed up.

That's very easy to test if you have access to a Music Man Steve Morse model and playing with the pickup height of the single coil while you have the humbucker selected. Tiny bits of height adjustment on the pickup you don't even listen to change the sound dramatically.

Comment

I see what your saying now but the term "distortion field" is confusing. Wouldnt it make more sense saying that it would cause distortion in the magnetic fields?
                  "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                  you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                    I see what your saying now but the term "distortion field" is confusing. Wouldnt it make more sense saying that it would cause distortion in the magnetic fields?
                    Yeah, but...

... I'm on a full run through Star Trek: Voyager. So, not my fault or something

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                      What kind of magnets does it have? If two coils have a bar magnet on the bottom and one has rod magnets the magnetic field will be screwed up for everybody...
                      the one i saw was stratty poles for the single coil and magnet under the rails for the humbucker. the sound clips seemed ok, but you can't tell too much from that sort of thing - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warman-Bla...item257e874cc7

Comment

Working...
                      X