banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Leather Rebel.....how did you make out with changing the magnet in a DD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Leather Rebel.....how did you make out with changing the magnet in a DD?

This is a post of your from April...a blast from the past

Originally posted by Leather Rebel
    I've been fishing some on this subject too, 'cause I am gathering info to decide on another pickup for one of my guitars. I had a JB before and liked it very well for a long time and then traded it for a Screamin' Demon. I like the Demon, but miss some aspects of the JB (output, thickness). I was going to just buy another JB, but I heard about others putting an A5 in a DD and getting something very similar to a JB, but with a little tighter bass and more clarity (which was probably my only complaints about the JB). Hearing this, I'm probably going to end up buying a DD and trying it out and if it's too harsh and compressed, I'll throw in an A5 and see how it goes. I may even take it a step further and order the DD with double row adjustable screws instead of screws + slugs to add even more versatility. That way, I'll have the ability to swap between two VERY useable pickups whenever necessary. As a side note, the ceramic magnet in the DD is said to be larger than the one in the Custom, so putting any ceramic in a JB will not necessarily get you a DD.

I'm just wondering what the difference is between a JB and a DD other than the magnet material and a small difference in DC resistance? Different wire? Winding method?
    Can you talk about your results...or if anyone else has tried changing the ceramic magnet in the DD? Or different magnet swaps in the JB?

I think the ceramic magnet in a DD is a little bigger (thicker) so I would guess you would have to use a paper (or whatever..maybe metal?) shim.

Re: Hey Leather Rebel.....how did you make out with changing the magnet in a DD?

PsychoDave,

I'm still planning to do something along these lines, but haven't done anything yet. I'm looking for a tighter, more percussive JB with added aggression. I've heard of folks swapping in allen head screws for the normal ones and getting similar results. I'm hoping to get more input from others on the forum on this one. I'm glad I'm not the only one interested in this...
    My Gear:
    Kramer USA Baretta II;Ibanez RG550 (MIJ)
    Laney Pro Tube Lead AOR 50watt 1x12" Combo
    Boss GT-3;ProCo Rat2;DOD 250 Overdrive/Preamp;DOD 201 Phaser;DOD FX-90 Delay

Pickups Used:
    TB-12 Screamin' Demon;TB-4 JB;SH-10 Full Shred;SH-5 Custom;TB-1 '59;TB-6 Distortion

Comment

Working...
    X