Older Players....when did HSS happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older Players....when did HSS happen?

I was thinking about Van Halen's influence on the idea of a humbucker in a strat type guitar, and wondered how common it was to see a strat modded with a humbucker in the bridge, BEFORE Van Halen came out onto the scene?

Was this seen very often in the late 60's - mid 70's?
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Re: Older Players....when did HSS happen?

Seems like I've seen a pic of Wayne Charvel and Tommy Bolin with a H/S/S Strat pre-VH...
    And I seem to recall reading Dave Murray did his old black Strat with the two Super Distortions around like, '76-'77, something like that?
    Regarding that pickup arrangement, I also remember something that stated in effect (paraphrasing here) "Though EVH was not the first to experiment with this pickup configuration, he was certainly the most prominent."

Comment

Wasn't Robbie Robertson's Strat HSS during the Last Waltz in '76?

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Even Eddie used HSS for a while in the mid seventies.
        Alex Lifeson also used one in the seventies....
        Some of the old Fusion guys also fooled around with those...forgot who and how early!

Comment

Wayne Kramer from the MC-5 put a PAF in the middle position back in the sixties.
          Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
            Wasn't Robbie Robertson's Strat HSS during the Last Waltz in '76?
            No, he just didn't like the location of the middle single coil. So he had it moved back adjacent to the bridge pickup, but it was still wired as a SSS.

'65 Fender Mustang: 5-2 (n), Fralin SP-43 (b)
            '98 Fender MIA Deluxe Strat: stock VN's
            '01 Fender MIM Std. Strat: Kinman Traditionals set
            '04 Fender MIA Telecaster: stock neck/Dimarzio Pre B1 bridge
            '06 Fender MIA 57AVRI Strat: stock 57/62's
            '08 Fender MIM '69 Thinline Tele: Fender VN's

Comment

The dude from Hall & Oats had a Humbucker in his Strat back in the 70's too.

Comment

I believe Roger Fisher from Heart also did that. There have probably always been players that did that to one extent or another. I think GJ's question is more when did the trend actually begin. I remember the whole trend really taking off in the early eighties after Eddie first came out with the superstrat in '78. All the the players that were a inspired by that whole movement really moved that trend along.

GJ, I would think you might know more about this than just about anyone around here!
                Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

Individuals (including some big names obviously) have probably been doing it since the humbucker first appeared. It picked up some steam in the 70's but it was EVH who turned it into a widespread trend.
                  Generic signature line.

Comment

Originally posted by gripweed View Post
                    GJ, I would think you might know more about this than just about anyone around here!
                    I started playing guitar around 1980/81 in southern Ca, so VH and all the copycats really took off from that point. I know that everyone was starting to use superstrats around then.

I also know the images of classic rock from the 50's - 70's, and very rarely recall seeing Fender strats with humbuckers put in them. They still had the 3-route back then, plus there weren't HSS pickguards yet, so it would have required some luthier skills to make it happen. Also, didn't Gibson humbuckers have long legs back then? Long legs don't fit in strats, I don't think.

The wackiest pickup setup I've seen from the 70's would have been Steve Morse's Frankentele. Neal Schon, Buck Dharma, and Alex Lifeson might have also had some sort of superstrat back then too.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I don't think it became a production model configuration until the early 80's. I remember Alvin Lee had a single in the middle of his 335 at woodstock.
                      Last edited by idsnowdog; 05-08-2008, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Eddie mid 70s...

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                          I also know the images of classic rock from the 50's - 70's, and very rarely recall seeing Fender strats with humbuckers put in them. They still had the 3-route back then, plus there weren't HSS pickguards yet, so it would have required some luthier skills to make it happen.
                          You wouldn't need to be a luthier, just some skill with a router. Of course, if you're as ham-fisted and devil-may-care with tools as I was in those days (and knowing the pickguard would cover a multitude of sins), just tear it up with a chisel or screwdriver til it fits.

Originally posted by Gear
                          Also, didn't Gibson humbuckers have long legs back then?
                          They did and still do.

Originally posted by Gear
                          Long legs don't fit in strats, I don't think.
                          They do if you rout the leg holes deep enough.
                          Generic signature line.

Comment

Yeah, punched right thru the trem spring cavity in one of mine to make a long-legged 'bucker fit! It worked, but not my finest work!

Comment

Originally posted by saladin View Post
                              Wayne Kramer from the MC-5 put a PAF in the middle position back in the sixties.
                              WoW! That image must rate near the top shelf of R'n'R photography! Saved to hard drive!

Comment

Working...
                              X