Jazz Neck & JB combo in my McCarty!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz Neck & JB combo in my McCarty!

I just installed this combo into my PRS McCarty and so far so good, The Jazz neck pup sounds very nice in this guitar. The 59N i had in there has just a little much bass for my liking it's an awesome pickup but I'm glad i changed it out.

Now the famous SD JB pup (Replacing the Custom 5) I have wanted to try this one for a long time but thought it would be to bright but it actually is quite nice, its a nice clear pup with high gain also has a nice fat tone with the pedals I am using. It does lack some low end which is another reason I wanted this because my amp is a 59 Bassman RI and there is plenty of low end in that amp, I also have no trouble with its clean tone.

Gear I am using with the McCarty is:
    59 Bassman RI, Fulltone Full Drive 2, BJF Baby Blue OD, BJF Dyna Red Distortion, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss RV-5 Reverb, Crybaby Classic wah.

So far the pedals and Amp seem to react well to the Jazz/JB combo So tomorrow night I get to use it with my band so that will be the real test.

Re: Jazz Neck & JB combo in my McCarty!

Really interesting to me, because the C-5, JB, Jazz, 59, and CC are pickups I go between.
    On my teal black McCarty, I have zebra C-5/59 and like it, although I may eventually swap the 59 for a Jazz. I haven't heard a JB in a McCarty, and probably didn't do it because upper mids are something I want to avoid with PRS guitars.
    The CC would be too dark. The C-5 sounds great, but maybe a bit overbearing.
    I have a nickel C-4 I made from a C-5. I have a feeling that would sound great in a McCarty, but haven't tried it yet, since that guitar has zebras.

Overall, which pickup do you think suits a Mccarty better? C-5 or JB?
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 08-18-2004, 03:42 AM.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

So far I like the JB because it has a bit more mids and less bass but a lot if has to do with the type of gear I am using with the McCarty. When I was using my Marshall DSL50 the 59N and C5 were perfect for that but now I use a Fender amp and pedals for my dirt and the JB doesnt sound muddy where as the C5 I thought was a lacking in the mids
      Its to early for me to say the Jazz/JB is the best I have used but so far it seems to gel better with my gear than the 59N/C5, I'm just glad I finally got to install these new pups and think they will work out.

Comment

Hi John!!

Congrats! I had that combo in my old Les Paul, it was killer...In fact I'm converting one of my Strats with a JB Trembucker and a '59 Neck. Should be killer!!! I love your McCarty, hope this combo works out for ya. I'm not so sure I would like a Jazz neck anymore, but I do know that you can't go wrong with a JB!
        Guitars:
        1998 Fender Custom Stratocaster
        1985-86 MIJ Fender ALL Rosewood Telecaster
        1996 Fender Stratocaster S-S-H ('59B)
        1997 Fender Strotocaster
        2002 Gibson Les Paul Junior
        2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard
        1996 MIJ Fender '72 Thinline Tele

Amps:
        '84 Marshall JCM800 4210
        '66 Fender Super Reverb
        '01 Fender Super Reverb RI
        '68 Fender Deluxe Reverb

Effects:
        Fulltone Fulldrive 2
        Teese Picture Wah
        MJM Blues Devil
        Bad Bob Boost

Comment

I could probably use most good Duncans in a McCarty, and like it, but one reason I love the C-5/59 is because most of my amps are very rich in midrange, so the added lows and highs of the C-5 really work. I can see that certain amps would prefer a midrangier pickup. The JB has such nice, thick high notes, it's hard not to like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Troy T. Blues
            Hi John!!

Congrats! I had that combo in my old Les Paul, it was killer...In fact I'm converting one of my Strats with a JB Trembucker and a '59 Neck. Should be killer!!! I love your McCarty, hope this combo works out for ya. I'm not so sure I would like a Jazz neck anymore, but I do know that you can't go wrong with a JB!
            Hi Troy, Your strat should be one kick ass guitar when you convert it over! The 59N is a great pup my only problem with it was clean and playing some chords down at the 1st to 3rd fret area it would be just a little to bass heavy for me. I think its just because my 59 Bassman has plenty of low end and lower mids, The Jazz neck matches my amp better both are fantastic with distortion.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
              I could probably use most good Duncans in a McCarty, and like it, but one reason I love the C-5/59 is because most of my amps are very rich in midrange, so the added lows and highs of the C-5 really work. I can see that certain amps would prefer a midrangier pickup. The JB has such nice, thick high notes, it's hard not to like it.

Yeah the C5 is great with Midrange type amps (EL34), When I had a Mesa Solo rectifier (6L6) the C5 got lost in the mix again due to low end and lower mids with the amp and pup.

Comment

That's what I don't like about suggesting pickups to people....then they hate them. The only way to know if a pickup combination is "you" is to try several of the most obvious choices, then decide on one. Everything else is just talking in circles.

Comment

John, I find that I just find the best pup for the guitar and adjust the amp accordingly. If the pickup/guitar has mucho mids, I just back off the mids at the amp, etc.

You should try the Rio Grande BBQ, not as hot as the JB and thicker with a richjer tone. No offense to Duncan because I love Duncans.

I did a lot of research and apparentlyu the PRS #10 is one of THE best pickups for the McCarty so I'll be ordering one and letting you all know how it goes!

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
                    John, I find that I just find the best pup for the guitar and adjust the amp accordingly. If the pickup/guitar has mucho mids, I just back off the mids at the amp, etc.

You should try the Rio Grande BBQ, not as hot as the JB and thicker with a richjer tone. No offense to Duncan because I love Duncans.

I did a lot of research and apparentlyu the PRS #10 is one of THE best pickups for the McCarty so I'll be ordering one and letting you all know how it goes!
                    Have you tried your RG BBQ in your McCarty yet!

I tried to find the #10 pups with split coil but no luck, Let me know how you make out .................... Where are you getting them from?

Comment

You can get the split #10s here.....http://www.magdonmusic.com

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
                        You can get the split #10s here.....http://www.magdonmusic.com

Is that a special order I did not see a listing!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser

Well the Roller Coaster Ride continues! I added the Tonebone Classic back on to my pedalboard and didnt care for the JB/Jazz anymore. They were good but I wasnt overwelmed with them so i sold the pair.

I decided to give the 59N/C5 another shot, This combo sounds fuller than the JB & Jazz with my TB Classic I also did some tube changes in my amp. I will ride these out for a while I'm getting tired of changing pickups.

Comment

Joneser,

What has been your experience with a JB/Jazz combo in an LP Standard? I'm wondering if it might be similar to the McCarty experience?
                            Originally posted by Scott_F
                            On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Why would anyone want a Duncan Jazz in a McCarty ..!? Get a Benedetto at least. Such a great guitar being upgraded by the Tone Wizard.
                              Fat Strat into a Soldano, always.

Comment

Working...
                              X