Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SDUG New Forum Pickup

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
    Well, I just heard the first soundtest (with Seymour, MJ and Frank Falbo) and you guys have a winner on your hands. They still have to tweak the P-90 tone a bit, but the Strat tone is right there.

Here's what you're getting: a Custom Shop tapped single coil that uses polished Strat magnets on three strings along with a bar magnet and screw pole pieces on the other three strings. In order to get the right height profile, the bobbin is hand fabricated from two cut down humbucker bobbins. The bottom plate is from the Parallel Axis Stack.

In full output mode, it sounds like a P-90. In tapped mode, it sounds like a Strat.

Price: $110 each. Two or more, $100 each. Plus shipping. CA residents pay sales tax.
    Rules: You must have been a SDUGF member prior to June 16, 2008 to take advantage of this offer. This price is intended for SDUGF members only. Please do not retail these pickups to make a profit.
    Limit: Six pickups per member.

I'll copy this information to the first post of the thread.

Question: Would you want two versions? One for bridge and one for neck / middle?

Ha! A P-90 and a strat single coil pup in one. If I was a single coil player, I'd be all over that.
    Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
    Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
    Originally posted by Sosomething
    "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

any pics of what this looks like? that sounds cool from your description Evan. also what about colors...what choice (if any) do we have? was that covered before?

-Mike
      www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

omg omg omg!

I'm all verklempt!!!!
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
          Question: Would you want two versions? One for bridge and one for neck / middle?
          Yes please - I'm planning to put one of these between a set of P-Rails (as a middle), and I'm tempted to get a couple more for another guitar.

Comment

I'd like to get in on this

will it look like a regular Strat pup? Please say YES
            1973 Les Paul Standard
            1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Well, seeing as three of the poles will have adjustable screws I'd say not 100% but it probably won't look as wacky as a rails pickup or sth...
              Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
              I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
              Originally posted by That90'sGuy
              Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Has this delicious sounding pickup been named yet?

Comment

This is turning out better than I expected. I like the idea of the half adjustable pole pieces and half magnetized pole pieces. I will be in for at least a neck and bridge model. Hope the ordering window can be open long enough to order a pair and then try them out and then order a couple more if they are what I am hoping they will be.

Comment

Great news!

I am in for a bridge and neck model.

Thanks guys, this thing will be a huge success I think.

B
                    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I would be interested in a neck model. Will the wind and polarity orientation be like normal SD Pickups or will it be different? I think it would be cool to have a cool rails bridge with one of these in the neck and a standard RWRP strat pickup in the mid position. Wire the works up with a super switch to make easy use of the options at hand (and eliminate the mid pickup for all but the #4 notch position duty).

Comment

Do you know what would make us drool right now?

A photo of the prototype!

Not sth as clean as what's on the SD site; just your run of the mill, taken with a cell phone, FULL of digital noise with, perhaps one of the guys (and gal) holding it full of pride for their accomplishment would definitely do it!!!
                        Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
                        I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
                        Originally posted by That90'sGuy
                        Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

I haven't been paying much attention to this, but wow... I can't wait for these!
                          www.lockwireguitars.com

Comment

Wow, thanks for the description, Evan. Sounds like a real Frankenpup.

I'm getting excited... I'll have to get a project done to drop this thing into.
                            Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Baritone '51 with only this pickup in the middle position? Could be fun!

Comment

I reckon one of those beauties in the neck of my Legacy, with an SSL-1 in the middle and a Twangbanger in the bridge would be Strat tone heaven!!!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Working...
                                X