SDUG New Forum Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SDUG New Forum Pickup

I could certainly see it in your Legacy's bridge as well!!!

(IMO the Strat bridge is its' greatest weakness and a fatter, P-90ish single coil would temp even me to go to an SSS config again!!!)
    Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
    I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
    Originally posted by That90'sGuy
    Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Originally posted by KeeperOS View Post
      I could certainly see it in your Legacy's bridge as well!!!

(IMO the Strat bridge is its' greatest weakness and a fatter, P-90ish single coil would temp even me to go to an SSS config again!!!)
      Yeah, I thought that too, but I'd probably be only able to stretch to 1 pickup.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

How about a Tele Custom for the bridge?

Comment

Can this pickup be used with a dial-a-tap circuit? In other words, a variable resistor between the "hot" lead and the "tapped" lead to allow a gradual move from the P-90 tone to single coil. I've found that really useful with a tapped QP in combination with APS-2 pickups in the middle & neck of a Strat.

Chip
          Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
          Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
          Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
          SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
          SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
          "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Question: Would you want two versions? One for bridge and one for neck / middle?

YES!

Do not be wise in words - be wise in deeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Start View Post
              Can this pickup be used with a dial-a-tap circuit? In other words, a variable resistor between the "hot" lead and the "tapped" lead to allow a gradual move from the P-90 tone to single coil. I've found that really useful with a tapped QP in combination with APS-2 pickups in the middle & neck of a Strat.

Chip
              if it worked on a tapped qp, i assume it would work with this also

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
                Question: Would you want two versions? One for bridge and one for neck / middle?
                Hmm, I thought the tap was to make usable in the bridge with neck pickups, and usable in the neck with high output bridge pickups? Although I'm sure Seymour could and would do a super-high output bridge position single. What would be the output difference between neck and bridge models?
                Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
                  Hmm, I thought the tap was to make usable in the bridge with neck pickups, and usable in the neck with high output bridge pickups? Although I'm sure Seymour could and would do a super-high output bridge position single. What would be the output difference between neck and bridge models?
                  I think the tap is to make both strat and P-90 sounds available from the same pickup. I assume if they do separate neck and bridge versions that the bridge will be wound a little hotter, just like some (non-vintage) strat and P-90 pickups are.

P-90s are hotter than strat-type single coils, but I don't think you can get a strat SC to sound quite like a P-90 just by overwinding it, there are some differences in construction that affect the sound too. Curious to see how much closer this pickup gets in P-90 mode (compared to an overwound strat p/up) since it's still limited by the size and shape of the pickup housing.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post

Price: $110 each. Two or more, $100 each. Plus shipping. CA residents pay sales tax.
                    Rules: You must have been a SDUGF member prior to June 16, 2008 to take advantage of this offer. This price is intended for SDUGF members only. Please do not retail these pickups to make a profit.
                    Limit: Six pickups per member.
                    So ... this means that I can't order these pickups ... I joined in July. This sucks, I have been putting off some pickup purchases while waiting for these to become available.

Comment

Patience, even if they won't sell it to you directly there's bound to be people that will buy extra or that won't jive with theirs and then post them in The Trading Post for (at most) the same price as here (since selling them for a profit is prohibited).

So, patience
                      Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
                      I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
                      Originally posted by That90'sGuy
                      Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Originally posted by KeeperOS View Post
                        Patience, even if they won't sell it to you directly there's bound to be people that will buy extra or that won't jive with theirs and then post them in The Trading Post for (at most) the same price as here (since selling them for a profit is prohibited).

So, patience
                        Yeah ... I guess. Its just that I was thinking these would be perfect for me since I am using a Phat Cat in my bridge of an h/s/s guitar. These things would be perfect for me in the neck and middle. I will deal ... like you said ... PATIENCE.

Comment

i would a peferred something with monster output and thick clear distortion in a passive hum cancelling single Coil. I guess Dimarzio has that with the Super Single D..but it isnt shaped right ! hahahah
                          well, the people have spoiked.

Comment

sounds like you want a hot rails jerry

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                              sounds like you want a hot rails jerry
                              Well, the hot rails definitly is headed in the right direction, but just deosnt go far enuf. By that I mean it does get pretty gritty, and it ois hot, but not gritty or hot enough by a good margin. I love the hot rails neck I have in my Walnut Superstrat and it balances well with the PATB-3 which is a moderate output bucker..but the Crazy8 in my Soloist just leaves the hot rails in the dust. In my opinion what was chosen for this froum run pickup is alread covered well enuf by the SSL 6/7 ( Very P90'ish).
                              What woulda been fantastic is some kind of Invader or Duncan Distortion scorching super high output hum cancelling single coil to balance out in the neck with the dirtiest highest output full sized buckers Seymour Duncan makes.
                              Like I said, Dimarzio seems to cover it,I havent really checked ,but unfortuanetely the new style Duncans will fit older jacksons but the Dimarzios wont.
                              I have thought about useing a Hot rails bridge in the neck, but have been told it would be too dark and veiled or muddy. I may be going to try a Litle Demon bridge in the neck. I wonder if the Duncan Custom Shop can make me what i want?
                              Last edited by jerryjg; 10-03-2008, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Probably

Comment

Working...
                                X