Funky sound from 2 humbuckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funky sound from 2 humbuckers

Can I get the funky sound from the coil splitting of neck and bridge humbuckers? I want to build a PRS-like guitar and the middle pickup is horrible with two gold-covered hb's.
    I want to buy a JAZZ for neck position and a JB for bridge. Guitar body is mohogany/maple and neck is maple/rosewood.

Re: Funky sound from 2 humbuckers

I have made myself a PRS-like guitar with two PAF style humbuckers (Dimarzio Paf Classic). In this guitar I have the chance to choose both humbuckers split in series or in parallel. Both tones are similar being the series one fatter, the parallel works better with an amp with a gain knob, otherwise the tone is too thin. The tone it isn't true single coil but it gets pretty close, in my opinion it is usable mainly in clean mode. I like the true humbucker tone better for distortion.

Comment

Oh, sorry! Yes the tone it is usable for funky style.

Comment

I play funk with my Pearly Gates loaded Les Paul in the middle position. I split the coils for this, but it can still do funk type sounds in full humbucker mode. I had the 59/JB combo in it before but I didn't like it. It was too hot and too bass heavy with the 59/JB.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

absolutely ... you can wire two humbuckers with the PRS-style 5 way (rotary or lever P-type megaswitch) ... you get neck only, inner coils parallel, outer coils series, outer coils parallel, bridge only ... i have this wiring on my AIIP / JB brian moore and i love it ... the #2 and #4 positions are very funky !

the HSH guitar in my avatar also gets this combination, plus a bunch more .. i needed a push/pull pot and an on-off-on mini toggle to do it though

good luck
          t4d
          Last edited by tone4days; 08-21-2004, 11:52 AM.
          gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Working...
          X