To many pickup names with CUSTOM in it!! lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To many pickup names with CUSTOM in it!! lol

Im so confused.. i hear so much about how great sd custom pickups are but well.... theres only 3 different pickups made by sd with the word Custom in the pickup names (Custom Custom,Duncan Custom,And the Custom 5). So which one is the one good for hard rock? I assume the Duncan Custom is the one thats good for hardrock and is the one everyone talks about?? Am i right? If not can someone put me on the right track?
    Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 08-23-2004, 03:17 AM.
    Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
    Roland Cube 60
    Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
    BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
    LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
    Mogami Cables
    Mooer Candy Toppers
    Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
    Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Re: To many pickup names with CUSTOM in it!! lol

No, no . . . its the Custom 5 that everyone likes.

And all three of those are different than the Duncan Custom shop pickups.

Edit: Replaced tedious list, with link.

Duncan Custom Shop pickups
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 08-23-2004, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Correct me if i am wrong but they have nearly the same coil (14KOhms) but each one with a different magnet.

Duncan custom: Ceramic
      Custom 5 : Alnico V
      Custom Custom: Alnico II

The differences should be related to the magnet effect on the tone. This effect is explained here:

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

Ceramics are stronger that AlnicoV and AlnicoV it is stronger than AlnicoII.
      Last edited by mongrollo; 08-23-2004, 04:56 AM. Reason: I wanted to clarify it a bit...

Comment

There is a thread in TIPS and CLIPS with clips from CC and C5. They are pretty good (Marin it is a great player)

Sound Clips and Playing Tips. Post Your MP3 links here as well as Q/A regarding guitar playing. Recording gear questions posted here.

And you can cast your vote...

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
          No, no . . . its the Custom 5 that everyone likes.

And all three of those are different than the Duncan Custom shop pickups.

Edit: Replaced tedious list, with link.

Duncan Custom Shop pickups

No, no, no. Everyone knows the CC is the best! J/K

BTW, y'all are forgetting about the Custom Singles, P-90's and mini humbuckers. Shame on you.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
            No, no, no. Everyone knows the CC is the best! J/K

BTW, y'all are forgetting about the Custom Singles, P-90's and mini humbuckers. Shame on you.
            BTW, what is this?

1953 Tapped JB for Tele “Guitar Shop” spec $200
            Wiring for Tele with 5-way switch- “Guitar Shop” specs/set $280

Farkus
            2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
            1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Naw, he's right Custom is the shizzle.\m/
              Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
              Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
              Originally posted by Sosomething
              "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

If hes talking about the ultimate rock/hardrock pickup the Duncan custom SH5
                Is the one to go for. A beefed up PAF. Fairly balanced eq, with aggression and a slight sizzle to the trebles due to the ceramic mag.

If your guitar is sounding thin in the bridge and needs a bigger sound or your after more mids and a buttery smooth top and bottom the Duncan Custom Custom SH11 is what seymour recommends.

The custom 5 would better suit those guitars that already have enough mids and fullness in the bridge spot, the custom 5 has a scooped midrange and can sound very bright and thin (with the high end being more prominent) it would sound good in the right guitar.

What you need to do first is find the problem your having with your current pups and find a pickup to compensate (the right one for your guitar). And dont listen to all the hype.
                PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
                1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
                Blackstar HT-5
                2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
                Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

In my opinion, the Duncan Custom line isn't yet complete, at least for us junkies.
                  And, there is no 'best one' I prefer the C-5, but won't hesitate to install a Custom, CC, JB, or Ant, if the guitar's actual tone dictates that the C-5 won't sound perfect.

If I could convince Seymour to do one thing, it would be to revamp the Custom Line into an easily understandable format. Each one would have a list of guitars/styles that have been suggested as perfect matches....like the Tonewizard, but more exact.

I'd have
                  Custom
                  Custom 2 (change the name of the CC)
                  Custom 3
                  Custom 4
                  Custom 5
                  and toss the JB in there too.

I've tried the C-4, and think it sounds best in muddier guitars, because of it's great balance and hard, articulate feel.

The C-5 is my favorite, but I'm inclined to believe that the C-3 is something I'd swap the C-5's for. Basically, a perfect cross between a C-5 and CC. The C-4 wasn't quite bouncy enough under my fingers as the other 2.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I found the C4 had too much of an edge. It was strange, because in some ways it had slightly more mids than the C5, but the top end was harsh.

I'm digging the C3 in my Warmoth VIP right now, but I thinking I'm going to swap it back to an A2 CC, so I can comare the two some more.
                    This machine kills fascists

Comment

Originally posted by Farkus
                      BTW, what is this?

Farkus
                      A question I can answer! lol

BTW = by the way
                      • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                      • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                      • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                      • G&L Tribute Comanche
                      • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                      • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                      • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

yup and we used to call the c5 a custom custom custom or ccc for short.
                        there are plenty of "custom" duncan pups
                        but most people are probably talking about the sh5/sh11/sh14 when they say custom

there are the custom minihumbuckers, the custom strat pups, and the custom p90 but those are all very different beast and usually youll know that thats what they are talking about.

then there is the custom shop stuff but again, if thats what someone is talking about, youll probably know

Comment

Working...
                        X