What mid single for H/S/H guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What mid single for H/S/H guitar?

I want a single that will keep up with the buckers to some extent, but i do want some volume drop.. just not too much.

it'd be going in a mahog/maple strat with maple neck/rosewood board.

I want nice cleans but it'd have to cope with overdriven sounds well also and not go thin and icepicky.

The humbuckers are gonna be Jb(or screamin demon) and a Jazz neck, I like a slightly bright tone as well to cut through, but i like things sounding slightly full also.

I dont like really bassy pups.

thanks
    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

Re: What mid single for H/S/H guitar?

classic stack or vintage rails

Comment

Originally posted by RG 2570
      classic stack or vintage rails
      whats the charecteristics of each?
      My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

The VR is a great middle position pup. Pretty good clarity and tone - just about what you'd expect from the stereotypical single coil - minus the hum. I would suggest that if you decide on the VR that you go with the bridge version. I've got a neck in the middle of my strat clone and when mixed with the Screamin' Demon, the VRn is overpowered. It'd be even more over powered by the JB. That said, the VR does mix well with the demon, it's just a tad timid.
        Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

I like real singles for my single coil tones, so I have to say APS. It's not icepicky, but it does have good bite and twang and takes to overdrive very well.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

for a real single coil, id try the ssl2 or aps2. both are great in the middle and will give you what you are looking for just with more or less mids (aps being more)

i really like a lil 59 in the middle with two buckers but i dont think thats the direction you want to go. the bridge vr is a good choice for a quiet stratty pup.

are you going to split the buckers in the notch positions?

Comment

I'm gonna have push pull pots to split the humbuckers, so in pos 2 and 4 they will be full on unless split.
              My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

Working...
              X