Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary?

Originally posted by RayBarbeeMusic View Post
    I can't speak to what it would sound like modded with A2; I assume like any other 9k ish PAF with A2, which is in that ballpark.

However, that isn't what DiMarzio/Steve Blucher intended, which was my point. If you're modding it, all bets are off.

I had a Lollar high wind Imperial that was A2 and around that same DCR and I couldn't stand the thing. Possibly my least favorite pickup ever, it fought pick attack like someone stuck a cap across the output and just sounded, and more importantly, felt, awful.

Odd, because the normal wind A5 Imperials are great in certain applications. The neck version especially has a very complex tone.

I had the same experience with the Custom 5 vs the Custom Custom. Just got done putting in and removing a CC from a guitar. Tried it because I have a nickel covered one in a jazz box, where it sounds fine, sort of Larry Carlton ish, but it seems like the cover took out something I dont like because I found the uncovered version had a squeeky affect on the pick attack I just couldn't stand. Put the C5 back in, which is supposedly the same thing with A5 vs. A2 and it is a major improvement.

I've played other A2 PAFS in normal DCR levels (Gibson '57s, Bustbuckers) that sounded just fine, both covered and uncovered.

So maybe I just don't like what happens when you combine A2 and a lot of turns. The stock VHPAF with A5 is a great PAF though.
    This is what I found as well. I've used a lot of different pickups in my favorite Partscaster: Stock Squier ceramic, Super Distortion (later tried it with an A2 mag and a spacer... didn't like it), a CC, a TB59 and homemade C/59 hybrid with A2, A8 and A5 and now it has a cream Air Zone.

Of all those pickups, I liked the FEEL and pick attack of the A5 pickups the best. Somewhere I read Steve Blucher commenting on how the A5 is their favorite because it's magnetic field is stable, the output and feel is good but the magnet isn't too strong, as to affect sustain. With the air mod and some tweaking of the coil winds, they can get amazing mids and a softer feel out of an A5 without sacrificing bass response (Tone Zone, PAF Pro, etc) and harmonic presence. I never cared for the feel of A2 and other unoriented magnets, just like I don't like the "stiff" feel of ceramic and A8 magnets. The A5 seems to be just the right balance.

Comment

Does the bridge bucker handle high gain like Tool or Alice in Chains? I am trying to decide between this, the Brobucker and 59/Custom.

Comment

The guy in Tool and the guy from AIC got their classic tones using JB pickups so you may want to go that direction.

THe 36ths can do it but are a different flavour.
        Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

The 36th's can handle a good amount of distortion. You could do either Tool or AIC.

Comment

Working...
          X