OK, im gonna do it....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, im gonna do it....

I am going to install a C-5 and a '59 into my artist. I want to have the options of Series/Parallel/Single for both p/ups. Someone on here said that I could do something with 4 push/pull pots to make it work. How do I do it? Is it hard? Do you know of any sites that will explain it in detail?
    Thanks, Cory.

www.guitarelectronics.com almost always has the answers when the seymour duncan schematics don't.

Comment

That almost sounds Like The Jimmy Page Wireing which adds Phase reversal thats on
      www.guitarelectronics.com
      This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
      Les Paul With JB bridge & Jazz neck - Jimmy Page Wiring
      Fenton Weill strat copy With 59 bridge & 59 Neck p/up My first Guitar
      Vox Valvetronix AD 100 VT

Comment

good choices corey .. i have those in my ibanez and really love them ... you might want to consider using a wiring plan that allows you to do the PRS-style "inner" and "outer" parallel combinations .. it will probably require a mag flip in one of the pups in order to preserve humbucking, but very cool sounds

good luck and let us know how it goes

cheers
        t4d
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

ok thanks a lot guys... (i hope i don't screw anything up)

Comment

hey is reverse phase the same thing as parallel?? (just makin sure) man im really confused by this to be honest... (http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/product/WDUHH3T2204) it sais that the neck tone pot will be pull for series with bridge????? how is that? and it sais the bridge tone pot will be pull for reverse phase... will someone pleeaase explain what this is all going to do because i'm totally lost now...

Comment

also what kind of pots do i need? will just plain pushpull spst pots work? 4 of these http://www.blackrosecustom.emerchantpro.com/index.html?token=1405930565-1778646971-144354279&A=33&B=Hardware%2FElec or do i need different ones? sorry for all the questions i just need as much info as i can get... thanks for a lot for the help

Comment

no offense bud, but methinks you might wanna crawl before you walk .. then work your way up to running .. your testing the temperature of the water in the deep end with both feet :-)

lemme see if i can sort this out .. robert_S is the PhD (pretty hip dude) when it comes to the major league les paul wiring intricasies ...

parallel and reverse phase are not the same .. parallel means that the signal goes through both pickups (or both coils of a humbucker) at the same time (as opposed to series, where the signal goes through one first, then the other)

as near as i can tell .. phase (in your case) is something that applies to the 'total picture' of the relationship between two pickups .. when you pop the bridge tone pot 'up', the two pups will be out of phase .. when it is 'down', they will be in phase

if you want to change the 'linkage' of the pups to series from parallel, you pull the neck tone pot 'up'

i think if you wire it up and test it out, you'll get a feel for what is going on

good luck

cheers,
                t4d
                gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

"no offense bud, but methinks you might wanna crawl before you walk .. then work your way up to running .. your testing the temperature of the water in the deep end with both feet :-)"

yea, i know what you're saying... but i think i can do it. how else do you get experience?

also what kind of capacitors do i need? does it matter?

Comment

not really, i usually use orange drops but the little ceramic disks work just fine. your local music store will probably have then but probably over charge you. radio shack or an electronics store will have em. as far as value i usually use .02 micro farad for tone controls

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
                      not really, i usually use orange drops but the little ceramic disks work just fine. your local music store will probably have then but probably over charge you. radio shack or an electronics store will have em. as far as value i usually use .02 micro farad for tone controls
                      where do you get orange drops caps?

Comment

sprague orange drops, i cant remember where i got mine. i bought a bag of 50 so i havent had to get any in a while. i think blackrose custom guitars has em

Comment

Originally posted by Cory_Dylan
                          hey is reverse phase the same thing as parallel?? (just makin sure) man im really confused by this to be honest... (http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/product/WDUHH3T2204) it sais that the neck tone pot will be pull for series with bridge????? how is that? and it sais the bridge tone pot will be pull for reverse phase... will someone pleeaase explain what this is all going to do because i'm totally lost now...

Reverse phase will give you a nasel type of tone ( that most people call the Peter Green tone) with both p/up's on and only works with both p/up's. Paarallel will brighten the tone of each p/up and works with or without mixing the p/up's

One tip though colour code the wireing diagram with felt tip pens it will make it easy'r to follow the diagram
                          Last edited by Oldslowhand; 03-14-2004, 02:19 PM.
                          This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
                          Les Paul With JB bridge & Jazz neck - Jimmy Page Wiring
                          Fenton Weill strat copy With 59 bridge & 59 Neck p/up My first Guitar
                          Vox Valvetronix AD 100 VT

Comment

also what kind of pots do i need? will just plain pushpull spst pots work? 4 of these http://www.blackrosecustom.emerchant...ardware%2FElec or do i need different ones? sorry for all the questions i just need as much info as i can get... thanks for a lot for the help
                            ^important^ but anyway is it really neccessary to have the option of reverse phase? i guess it would be pretty cool just to get some different sounds... i need to get this straight of what is going to happen... is this it...
                            bridge volume knob out: split
                            bridge tone out: pickups out of phase
                            neck volume out: split
                            neck tone out: both pickups go into series

im pretty sure thats what it is saying.... but does that mean that both pickups are always parallel, and when the neck tone is out the are both back in series? shouldn't it be the other way around? what i was originally wanting to do is....
                            bridge volume out: split
                            bridge tone out: bridge pickup parallel
                            neck tone out: neck pickup parallel
                            am i right about what the jimmy page mod does? also i stil need to know if spst pots will work

thanks a lot for the help, im really gettin there

Comment

^important^ but anyway is it really neccessary to have the option of reverse phase? i guess it would be pretty cool just to get some different sounds... i need to get this straight of what is going to happen... is this it...
                              bridge volume knob out: split
                              bridge tone out: pickups out of phase
                              neck tone out: both pickups go into series

im pretty sure thats what it is saying.... but does that mean that both pickups are always parallel, and when the neck tone is out the are both back in series? shouldn't it be the other way around? what i was originally wanting to do is....
                              bridge volume out: split
                              bridge tone out: bridge pickup parallel
                              neck tone out: neck pickup parallel
                              am i right about what the jimmy page mod does? also i stil need to know if spst pots will work

thanks a lot for the help, im really gettin there
                              first of all, a reverse phase switch is cool, but you dont need one that bad, i dont use one and i'm not dying, anyway, with what your saying about how your going to wire the push/pull switches, everything seems fine, but generally, people wire a parallel/series toggle so that when its pulled it's in parallel because series tone is more powerful and ballsy, while parallel sounds weaker but has more clearity. as far as is spdt push/pulls will work, you could use them for the splitting operations, but you will need dpdt switches for phase reversal, and parallel/series toggle. You could also just use all dpdt switches if you want. hoep this helps

Comment

Working...
                              X