Back to SH-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to SH-5

After messing around and thinking that the CC was my #1 pup, I finally made a major re-swap of my three magnets (A2, A5 and ceramic)... and the original SH-5 with a ceramic magnet is finally my favorite pup.

It's more articulate, more vintage and powerful that the other two Alnico options. I suspect people don't like the SH-5 because they have an issue with the word "ceramic" (I've been one of them). This pick-up is amazing!

I know "ceramic" and "vintage" sound like an oxymoron, yet if I use my ears, the SH-5 is as close as a fat PAF as you can get.

My two cents worth of course

Gibson Les Paul Traditional
    Norman B50 Acoustic Guitar

Re: Back to SH-5

Originally posted by Sly_D
    After messing around and thinking that the CC was my #1 pup, I finally made a major re-swap of my three magnets (A2, A5 and ceramic)... and the original SH-5 with a ceramic magnet is finally my favorite pup.

It's more articulate, more vintage and powerful that the other two Alnico options. I suspect people don't like the SH-5 because they have an issue with the word "ceramic" (I've been one of them). This pick-up is amazing!

I know "ceramic" and "vintage" sound like an oxymoron, yet if I use my ears, the SH-5 is as close as a fat PAF as you can get.

Your not alone there Sly.........
    My pickups?.... Only MJ knows ~

You deserve what you tolerate

Comment

Yep, I´m in front of you leading the Charge
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I was pleasantly surprised after putting a ceramic into my '59.
        I used to think ceramics weren't for me too. Couldn't be more wrong.
        I'll be walking behind you as my gear is lesser

Comment

I have a C-5 now in one of my dean Evos but will soon be getting a Custom because I still need that thick warmth from the mids like the JB......hopefully the Custom will be it!

Comment

Re: Back to SH-5

Originally posted by Sly_D

Hey sly good to hear from another that hears that a ceramic pup can be P.A.F toned
            i have tried the CC,C5 and custom many times,and also keep comin back to the ceramic CUSTOM TB-5
            what i do to make it the most P.A.Fish,is to set it at 5/32" low E side and 4/32" high E side. this is measuring from the top of the slug pole to the bottom and the string.
            this for me makes it very classic paf sounding,but in a much more MUCHO way
            I can really hear where seymour got the "PAF on steriods" thing from!

Comment

Btw,i just have to say it,i found the C5 to have the least P.A.F tone i ever heard
              just because it has the pulled back mids and a higher treble and bass does not a make a pup sound P.A.F at all,look at a pup like the steves special by dimarzio, it has a scooped midrange and a bigger bass and treble and aint nobody gonna tell me that one sounds P.A.F either
              I still dont agree with the it is a 59b with a bigger bass and output
              the 59b is much brighter in the treb, has the right dip in the mids,and has a much more P.A.F quality to it.

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
                I have a C-5 now in one of my dean Evos but will soon be getting a Custom because I still need that thick warmth from the mids like the JB......hopefully the Custom will be it!
                bro if it aint i will send you my left arm

Comment

Re: Re: Back to SH-5

Originally posted by WARRENLEELYNCH
                  Hey sly good to hear from another that hears that a ceramic pup can be P.A.F toned
                  i have tried the CC,C5 and custom many times,and also keep comin back to the ceramic CUSTOM TB-5
                  what i do to make it the most P.A.Fish,is to set it at 5/32" low E side and 4/32" high E side. this is measuring from the top of the slug pole to the bottom and the string.
                  this for me makes it very classic paf sounding,but in a much more MUCHO way
                  I can really hear where seymour got the "PAF on steriods" thing from!
                  5/32" and 4/32" huh......I'll keep that in mind when I finally get the Custom installed...LOL! What did you find when raising the pickup? Did you radius the poles at all?

I need to get a good measuring rule as mine only shows 16's....not 32"s. I couldn't find any in local stores....maybe online.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Back to SH-5

5/32" and 4/32" huh......I'll keep that in mind when I finally get the Custom installed...LOL! What did you find when raising the pickup? Did you radius the poles at all?

I need to get a good measuring rule as mine only shows 16's....not 32"s. I couldn't find any in local stores....maybe online.
                    when i set the custom closer she got too UN- P.A.F and became more which is good for some if they seek a more thrashy tone? i play many styles so it was too overkill close and
                    i used those measurments because
                    that is where ED vanhalen set his custom when he used one, as well as his pup setting on the music man axe.
                    I actually just gave it a passing thought at first but said what the hey? why not try it?
                    so i did and was very happy with the tone of the custom at that distance

Comment

Funny you mentione Ed......ever notice how far the p'up are form the strings on the Wolfgang? I used to own one.

Comment

Funny you mentione Ed......ever notice how far the p'up are form the strings on the Wolfgang? I used to own one.
                        yeah that is the way he always set his pup
                        he KNOWS GOOD TONE

Comment

I love the Custom. I don't really think it has more bass than a 59, but it does have a lot more mids. Thing is, it's mids that sound like an extension of the typical mid profile of a PAF. Same proportion of low, mid, and high mids. Just more, more output, more punch. Very cool pup.
                          Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                          Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                          Originally posted by Sosomething
                          "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

how bright is the Custom, compared to something like the C5, CC, and other hot PAF's?

Comment

Brighter than a CC, not as bright as a C5.

Check out the SD sound clips here:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/SDToneWizard/hummer.htm
                              This machine kills fascists

Comment

Working...
                              X