Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phat Cat PuPs

Hey Folks,
    I'm new to the electric world... and only 8 months into the guitar world. I'm trying to sort out this whole single coil vs. Humbucker issue. Right now I'm looking at a Hamer Newport that has the Phat Cat Pups on it. My question: do these pick-ups really cancell out the "hum" single coils are prone to having. I'm a little shaddy on this... but the hum normally associated with single coils is produced by external electromagnatic field... such as those caused by computers... right? So, theoretically the phat cats on the Hamers make it a non-issue.

Also, if some could add in some dumified descriptions of single versus humbucker sound, that would be great. Can you have one of each kind of pick-up? If so, what happens then?

Thanks!
    TA

Re: Phat Cat PuPs

Originally posted by TS Anderson
    Hey Folks,
    I'm new to the electric world... and only 8 months into the guitar world. I'm trying to sort out this whole single coil vs. Humbucker issue. Right now I'm looking at a Hamer Newport that has the Phat Cat Pups on it. My question: do these pick-ups really cancell out the "hum" single coils are prone to having. I'm a little shaddy on this... but the hum normally associated with single coils is produced by external electromagnatic field... such as those caused by computers... right? So, theoretically the phat cats on the Hamers make it a non-issue.

Also, if some could add in some dumified descriptions of single versus humbucker sound, that would be great. Can you have one of each kind of pick-up? If so, what happens then?

Thanks!
    TA
    If one of the PCs is RWRP, you will have hum cancelling in the middle position (both pups in the circuit). Hum is not nearly the issue you may think it will be with the PCs. My set is extremely quiet...quieter than some humbuckers I have used. What little hum you may experience will be heard when you have one or the other pup on. It's very manageable and a non-issue IMHO.
    I think those Newports are spruce tops, aren't they? That should make for a very warm-sounding guitar, and I would think the PCs would be a great choice for warm, jazzbox tones if that's what you're shooting for. PCs are a great pup for a lot of styles.

Comment

Thanks for the info...

BTW, what does "RWRT" mean?

Thanks.
      TA

Comment

Sometimes I think that hum and noise issues are more voodoo than science.
        I have noise problems with my two humbucker equipped guitars - none with the two Strats.

Comment

RWRP=

reverse wound reverse polarity
          boreddddddddddd

Comment

Everything above is right on target. As for the sound differenes of humbuckers, vs. singles, a VERY simplified comparison would be Clapton in the Bluesbreakers and Cream, and Clapton with Deek and the Dominoes. The humbuckers will be (generally) fatter and louder with more mids and rounded highs. Singles will be brighter, snappier, and will be cleaner iin the low end and mids and will have more present highs.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X