Help quick!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help quick!

I will tomorrow buy DiMarzio HS-3 and YJM pickup. My guitar tech says that i should use DiMarzio 500k volume pot to have best sound from the pickup's. Should i use 250k or 500k volume pot. By the way my guitar tech play's Yngwie Malmsteen for 15 years so i think that he is right but maybe he isn't. What do you think???? Thanks!

Re: Help quick!

I don't know that the pots need to be packaged by Dimarzio (Dimarzio doesn't make pots) but 500k is probably a good choice for value.

Playing Malmsteen licks doesn't nessessarily make one a good guitar tech but he might be a good teacher. When looking for someone to work on a guitar, always get referrals.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
      I don't know that the pots need to be packaged by Dimarzio (Dimarzio doesn't make pots) but 500k is probably a good choice for value.

Playing Malmsteen licks doesn't nessessarily make one a good guitar tech but he might be a good teacher. When looking for someone to work on a guitar, always get referrals.
      I would tend to think it's how many licks can he do with a soldering iron that would count in this case ... Good point Robert. Matter of personal preference, I think the signature yjm model that fender made used 250k pots (you can go to gear heads site to double check it) ... the HS series and YJM are lower output pups, as such a 500k might open them up a bit more than a 250k. I would stick with 250k tone controls though, but again personal taste.
      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

I said that he plays Malmsteen in order to i think that he knows why he has put a 500k volume pot in his guitar (that also has HS-3 and YJM pu's). Tone controls would be disconnected in my guitar because i don't use them. So you think that a 500k volume pot is a good choice rather than 250k? And yes DiMarzio makes pots, model EP1201 (500k).

Comment

THIS ARE THE BEST PICKUP's THAT I EVER USED!!!!!!!! Really they are great, everybody who says that this pickup's are thin or don't have strength he (or she) doesn't know to ajdust them or to use them. With 500k volume pot it sounds so much better so I recommend that combination. I can nail tone of Malmsteen over Blackmore to Hendrix with just a little adjusting EQ on the amp (also i use MXR 104 Dist+). Thanks guys for your opinions!

Comment

Originally posted by Jovan
            THIS ARE THE BEST PICKUP's THAT I EVER USED!!!!!!!! Really they are great, everybody who says that this pickup's are thin or don't have strength he (or she) doesn't know to ajdust them or to use them. With 500k volume pot it sounds so much better so I recommend that combination. I can nail tone of Malmsteen over Blackmore to Hendrix with just a little adjusting EQ on the amp (also i use MXR 104 Dist+). Thanks guys for your opinions!
            Oh I've got a complete HS series set (1,2, & 3) in a start copy of mine (I'm talking three pups here, but the same deal) ... They are nice, It's just that some people are still under the mistaken impression that they are supposed to be hot pups (especially the HS-3) ... not so. That's the reason I made the comment about being lower output. I use a 500k for volume in mine as well, but I'm a bit heavier on the tone circuit ... so it warms up a bit more.
            A 500k will work just fine.

Comment

just cause they sell pots in a dimarzio package doesnt mean they make them. im sure some one else makes it for them, but they seem to be decent quality. 500k with no tone might be a little bright but give it a try, with only one control it isnt a big deal to rewire if you want to change.

Comment

Originally posted by Jovan
                And yes DiMarzio makes pots, model EP1201 (500k).

No, they don't. Dimarzio just repacks CTS pots, shich indeed are very nice for the money.
                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
                  just cause they sell pots in a dimarzio package doesnt mean they make them. im sure some one else makes it for them, but they seem to be decent quality. 500k with no tone might be a little bright but give it a try, with only one control it isnt a big deal to rewire if you want to change.
                  Yeah , they don't make them themselves, no more than Gibson makes their switches, or Fender theirs, even if designed by them the manufacturing is done by someone else.
                  On mine I've got a 500k with a 250k tone control (.047uF cap), and it's warm, but still pretty airy ... What I mean is, it's still a bright strat sound, but just not a glassy strat sound. I agree with Jeremy, it's a simple fix if to bright, either throw in a resistor and cap (if the guitar doesn't have any tone control(s) mounted on it), or just a small valued cap.

Comment

I have 500k volume pot and two 250k tone pots and it ROCKS!!! Just like i said, i am nailing the tone of Malmsteen, Blackmore and Hendrix with ease. Yes you were right about DiMarzio pots, they are CTS, my mistake.

Comment

Working...
                    X