Pickups for 335 style guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for 335 style guitar

I have an Oscar Schmidt OE30 and was considering changing the pickups. What do you guys think work the best in a 335 style guitar?

Re: Pickups for 335 style guitar

I've got that same guitar, and I put PG's in it, and it completely rocks!
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

ditto with the above. seths are the way to go.
      esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
      fender mim standard strat
      peavey classic 30
      johnson j-station
      original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
      dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
      yamaha f-310p acoustic
      taylor 410 acoustic
      "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

well, yes - of course, the seths would sound wonderful ..
        but i am wondering if we need to check with him about the style he is going for ...

are you going for a traditional 335 tone? or do you have something else in mind?

let us know and we can focus are opinions to your application

cheers
        t4d

ps - welcome to the SD forum .. it's a great place with alot of guys who know alot about pickups, guitars, amps, effects, and lotsa other stuff ..
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

I really need something versatile. I play a little bit of everything from 50's to today. I need a good clean as well as a decent overdriven tone. I have a Sunn T50C amp and a good pedalboard (Tonebone Classic and HB, VS H2O, Digitech Digidelay, Boss TU-2, Teese RMC-1).

Comment

Seths for sure.
            Go in tips and clips and listed to Marinblues clips see for yourself
            His Grace is Amazing

Comment

Seth lover neck, antiquity hot for bridge ... that would be my guess in keeping with the 335 personality from what I've read from Lews responses about those pups. I really push for the ANT Hot in the bridge, as the bridge can always use a bit more. Mind you just a suggestion, I haven't actually used them, but even so I think it sound advice, but double check with others.
              ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
              ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
              Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Yeah guys, the Seths are great, but for some reason, just not for this guitar (I did try them out, I've got the hookup at my local shop). I think the body, for some reason is basswood, inlcuding the body, and not just the center block, and the neck, who knows. This isnt your typical 335, for some reason it sounds completely different This is just my .02 though.
                This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I played a 335 with Seth's and it was incredible. Definitely worth trying.

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
                    Yeah guys, the Seths are great, but for some reason, just not for this guitar (I did try them out, I've got the hookup at my local shop). I think the body, for some reason is basswood, inlcuding the body, and not just the center block, and the neck, who knows. This isnt your typical 335, for some reason it sounds completely different This is just my .02 though.
                    I'm not up on the wood in that guitar Bean, good point. I still stand by my suggestion though ... is the top basswood also? Oh well, I still stand by my suggestion, but it is just a suggestion ...
                    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

I'm starting to think the entire guitar is basswood save for the fretboard. I've got it sitting right here infront of me, and it looks alot like basswood. This is also a bolt on neck guitar. The tone is completely different than a 335, but Seths might be good, I just know that I didnt liek 'em in my guitar.

Comment

I had a set of Seth's in my Sheraton and they sounded great for any style of music. I did swap them out for a pair of Phat Cats to try something different and a love them too. I guess I need to get another semi so I can use my Seth's
                        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by oznod
                          Heres a great 335 story,

Seth Lovers, The End
                          Yep, I settled on them for my ES-333 and they are just dripping with cool tones, especially the cleans - whoo hoo!!!

Comment

Between Seth Lovers and Antiquities (both not wax potted), does one have an advantage over the other model, when installed in a 335 style guitar?

Comment

Because the ants are degauzed they are a little warmer. But they cost a lot more and have the aged looking covers, so I prefer the Seths.

Seths are a 50's PAF if you went back in time and pulled a new one out of a new guitar.

Ants are a 50's PAF that's like it's 50 years old and pulled from an antique guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X