Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fender Fat 50's PUPs

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
    Jeff...We have alot in common buddy...I dislike the Texas Specials and the original early Noiseless pickups also...Can't comment on the newer cobalt Noiseless though?

John
    I imagine the new Noiseless (current Jeff Beck Strat has them I think) are pretty nice. Recently saw Jeff play here in New York and he sounded great (although I bet you could give him a broomstick with a wire attached to it and he would be awesome ). I've heard that the Texas specials are nice if you lower them down to the pickguard, but they still don't do it for me. I read an interview with Chris Duarte who said he tried them and having known SRV personally, said he would not have liked them.

Jeff
    "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Jeff....I tryed the Texas Specials and I messed with lowering the heights etc..They just are harsh and too middy for my tastes...Alot of guys like them,They didn't work for me...The Fat 50s or even the SSL5 and 6s are more SRV sounding to me even though SRV used stock pickups...It was his big strings,lower tunings,and SRV playing that was so fat....

John
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
        ...The Fat 50s or even the SSL5 and 6s are more SRV sounding to me even though SRV used stock pickups...It was his big strings,lower tunings,and SRV playing that was so fat....

John
        John,
        I agree. Along with the tuning, string guage, effects etc..., he was an amp fanatic and used to link all kinds of amps together for his sound. My guess is that the Fat '50's, Custom Antiqs, and SSL 5 & 6's are all within the same ballpark that Stevie's original pups were in, with the Antiqs being the closest.

I had a set of SSL-5's at one time (in a different Strat), but I think I like the Fat '50's better. It could have been the difference in guitars though. My current one sounds great even acoustically. The old one (a 1973) was mediocre sounding.

Jeff

Comment

I'm there with you guys. I just put the fat 50's in myself and picked up my strat from the shop (fretwork) today at lunch. I can't wait to try them out. I didn't care for the texas specials either. Question.....do you guys lower these any or just use kind of standard height??

Thanks.

Comment

This is cool Lots of great info. Thanks for stopping by as they say.

I am happy I bought those fat 50s from Gear. I am a little dizzy over what bridge.

That is a pretty strat John
            His Grace is Amazing

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeyedog
              I'm there with you guys. I just put the fat 50's in myself and picked up my strat from the shop (fretwork) today at lunch. I can't wait to try them out. I didn't care for the texas specials either. Question.....do you guys lower these any or just use kind of standard height??

Thanks.

I use the standard height (vintage I think) that's illustrated in Dan Erlewine's book, where he goes over Fender's standard setups, but you can monkey around with it to get the sound you want.

Comment

I always thought the set sounded nice when the bridge's tone was backed off to 8.
                Then, it seemed perfect. I've heard that some guys like the Fat 50 neck and middle with a Texas Special bridge pickup, since it has more mids. My other strat has 2 Fat 50's and a Tremspaced C-5. The polarity isn't right, which means my #2 position is useless, but I don't care on that guitar anyway. I can't wait till I install my new
                Texas Hot Custom bridge and 2 Surfers. yeah! Fat 50's for SRV tone, and the Antiquities for the Hendrixy tone.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                X