banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scorpions/Accept/MSG tone with newer gibsob PU's???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scorpions/Accept/MSG tone with newer gibsob PU's???

I was wondering 'bout this kind of classic rock 70's / 80's (Accept, Socpions, Michael Schenker, Jake E Lee, Thin Lizzy........)

Lost of them used gibson original pickups, but are the newer ones the best deal to replicate this tone? Or would it be better to look elsewhere?

What pickups would you recommend for that: Gibson (burstbuckers?, 498t?) or Duncan (maybe a JB?, custom?)

I'm planning on getting a good guitar this year and, if Im not still sure of the kind it will be, I wanna know about the pickups that would fit best. It will sound trough a 50 watts Marshall

Re: Scorpions/Accept/MSG tone with newer gibsob PU's???

David welcome to the forum! I think all of those pickups you listed would work for that kind of tone. Like you said a few of those listed used stock Gibsons, which during the 80's would have been the 498T for the bridge. I'm pretty sure Schenker used a Duncan Custom excluseively for his tone. Jake E Lee was known for the JB in his Charvels.

The fun part about experimenting is finding your own tone as little nuances here and there help to create that. Good luck and stick around here as there are very knowledgeable folks on here.

KEvin

Comment

Thanks a lot! It's a very useful forum, like you said!

Dindn't know Schenker used a Custom, I always thought there were stock. However, his tone is beautiful, I'll try to check the picku... Adn for some extrange reason I didn't think the 498 was yet in the eighties.... was exactly the same pickup?

Comment

Schenker's classic tone definitely sounds like a Custom to me. His new tone is a little fatter, but it still has the Custom edge.

You can certainly hear the JB influence in the Scorpions also. I think those guys had JBs and Customs.

The amps are a huge influence also.
        Last edited by Stevo; 09-05-2004, 03:30 PM.
        https://www.bandmix.com/stevereed/

Comment

SH-5 Custom

Comment

Working...
          X