once again time for some new pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• once again time for some new pickups

I am hoping to put some new pickups in my Ibanez GAX70 sometime soon since I'm starting my new job at college and wanted to get some ideas. I was going to go with the jazz/JB combo but the GAX is very thin and light. How will these sound in a light guitar? The bodywood is mahogany. I also like the soundclips of the Alnico II pro, 59' model, and Duncan Custom. Mostly going to be playing 70's and 80's rock and maybe a few other things but no metal. I want it to be bright, balanced, with warmth, and nice clarity, but can get dirty with the best of them. So something that is pretty flexible

Re: once again time for some new pickups

The Jazz is a bright, articulate pickup in my experience, and it handles gain quite well, too. It has a considerably more modern sound than the '59 too (IMO). The JB, from what I've seen/heard would do what you want pretty well, thought it *might* get a little bit bright. If that is the case, a Custom or C5 would probably do the trick. I currently have a C5 and it does pretty well for the 70's kind of rock.

Comment

IMO CUSTOM/JAZZn COMBO OR JB/JAZZn COMBO SHOULD WORK FOR YOU
      "Get a BIBLE: open it, read it, and believe it" - Me

Comment

First of all, your avatar is making me 'pop a rod' Ha Ha. I gotta tell ya, the C-5B/59N is so hard to beat in a mahogany guitar, that I'd be very surprised if you were disappointed. Trust me, I've tried almost all of them. The perfect combo. The 59n is the industry standard neck pickup, and the C-5 is basically a hotter 59 bridge pickup.
        Everytime I stray from that combo, I think I've made a step backward.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I would suggest the Custom Custom for the bridge.
          Dealer for: Seymour Duncan, Tonepro, Allparts, Tech-21, Moses Graphite, CBI Cables, Mallory, Orange Drop & Hovland Capacitors, Hipshot & WD Products.

www.blackrosecustom.emerchantpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
            First of all, your avatar is making me 'pop a rod' Ha Ha. I gotta tell ya, the C-5B/59N is so hard to beat in a mahogany guitar, that I'd be very surprised if you were disappointed. Trust me, I've tried almost all of them. The perfect combo. The 59n is the industry standard neck pickup, and the C-5 is basically a hotter 59 bridge pickup.
            Everytime I stray from that combo, I think I've made a step backward.
            hey Gearjoneser, since youv'e tested alot of things out,

what do you think about a Custom Custom in a Poplar guitar with a Wilkinson tremelo? (which I have blocked on both side BTW) Since we're talking about woods and tremelos..

I have the same issue as the young Matt, with the =best avatar I've seen this week=

thanks
            Teles/Les Pauls/Strats
            Rivera+Engl
            Band: http://www.facebook.com/pages/ROCKET...C/191528640762

Comment

First of all, your avatar is making me 'pop a rod' Ha Ha.
              LMAO, I was looking through some of my old posts and Gear, if anyone new who dosen't know you reads this now with my current avatar they are gonna think your uh... well... kinda funny. We all know which avatar you were talking about though.lol

Any other opinions about my pup question?

Anybody?

Comment

Get a Pearly Gates in the neck instead of a 59, and I agree with GJ.
                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Ok well I'm about to order the pickups. Joneser I think I'm gonna take your advice and go with the 59n/C-5b. After reading up on it again I think that sounds like a good combo for what I'm wanting. I have to use a credit card to order them so I was just gonna go through Musicians Friend or American Musical Supply. I'm gonna hit eBay to see what they have but I'd rather just buy them new.

Comment

Working...
                  X