banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for new volume and tone pots. Where to get and what to get??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time for new volume and tone pots. Where to get and what to get??

Originally posted by Kent S.
    Yep, the 473 is .047uF, J means a 5% tolerance, and 2A is a either a characteristic/type number or a dielectric breakdown rating (ie 2 amps), I can only guess as to it being the first, there should be a voltage rating also, but it may not be on there. I don't know why 473's are in your LP, but that's what the three digit code says.
    Thanks Kent..
    What usually comes in Lespauls cap wise??

Thanks,
    Duke
    www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

Bump for a reply!!
      www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

Originally posted by Duke of Metal
        Thanks Kent..
        What usually comes in Lespauls cap wise??

Thanks,
        Duke
        223's are what normally comes in there ... .022uF. If you are happy with the 473 then I say leave 'em, but the 223 will not be quite as dark as the 473, and will have a bit more upper brightness (in principle anyway). As far as tolerance I think most Gibbys had 10%, maybe more. Now days they stick with either 10% or 5%, 5% is better butit's not crucial. A cap rated at at least 100V and up, I think the ODs that most people stick in there are either 400V or 600V.The voltage rating is not that important, but higher rated caps tend to give a bit better performance, and they resist the heat of soldering, and hold to their values better, than lower rated caps do.The tolerance issue isn't that important either, it's just that 5% are closer to *what* they say they are capacitance (value) wise.
        ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
        ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
        Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
          223's are what normally comes in there ... .022uF. If you are happy with the 473 then I say leave 'em, but the 223 will not be quite as dark as the 473, and will have a bit more upper brightness (in principle anyway). As far as tolerance I think most Gibbys had 10%, maybe more. Now days they stick with either 10% or 5%, 5% is better butit's not crucial. A cap rated at at least 100V and up, I think the ODs that most people stick in there are either 400V or 600V.The voltage rating is not that important, but higher rated caps tend to give a bit better performance, and they resist the heat of soldering, and hold to their values better, than lower rated caps do.The tolerance issue isn't that important either, it's just that 5% are closer to *what* they say they are capacitance (value) wise.
          I am pretty happy with the sound.. specially since I put the Duncan Custom in the bridge. Its not too bright, its not too dark..

I might not even replace the tone pots since I hardly if never use them at all. They're always on full.

I put some contact cleaner that i had sitting around and it cleaned the volume pots dead clean. I guess i'll just replace them when they go dirty for good. I found the CTS ones locally for $5 each. Which is about the same price they would go for in the USA after currency exchange.

Duke
          www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

Working...
          X