Hi I'm new to the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi I'm new to the forum

Hi I'm new to the forum. I have a Gib Les Paul Std. and have been trying to get some information on wiring my LP like the Jimmy Page's #1. I started to upgrade my electronics with an RS prem kit and a set of Burstbucker #2 & #3's. Now I would like to go with the Page's #1 wiring setup I'm thinking about investing in the SD CS Page pickup for the bridge position. I just dont know how it would ballance out with a Burstbucker #2 in the neck. I have heard when you coil tap the bridge pup on a LP an put your selector switch it the middle position they automatically go out of phase into reverse phase. I don't knw if there is any truth to that. I am just trying to tap the bridge tone I think. I have I think I'll need a 500k audio tapper push/pull long shaft but I'm not really shure. I tried to call Gibson and ask them fora little help or a wiring diagram on the new Page #1 replica, there not talking. Thank you for any help or advice

Chris

Re: Hi I'm new to the forum

Welcome to the forum...here's are some diagrams for the Jimmy Page wiring:

You can also get a JP wiring kit from that site. Keep in mind that you may need to modify the electronics cavity a bit for the DPDT pots to fit. I believe most Gibsons use long shaft pots, but unfortunately you can't get DPDT push/pull pots with a long shaft. I don't think the pickups will be out of phase in the middle position unless you intentionally wire them that way. This would only happen if one pickup had a different polarity than the other.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
      Welcome to the forum...here's are some diagrams for the Jimmy Page wiring:

You can also get a JP wiring kit from that site.
      Does this include pickups etc? and what is the exact link as I was unable to find it on their website?

Thanks.

Comment

Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

I have wired a few guitars with the Jimmy Page wiring including the 59 RI in my avatar. I can probably clear up a couple of things for you.

JP supposedly has his wired with the switches mounted under the pickguard. He is quoted as saying he didn't want to alter the top. The Gibson Jimmy Page Les Pauls, just like the original 50s LP and the historic reissues have a shallower control cavity route and will accept short shaft dpdt push pull pots. On production LPs such as yours the cavity needs to be routed to accept the short shaft pots. I have done this to both of my production LPs but it is a little tricky and i wouldn't advise it unless you are good with a drill press and feel confident in your ability to mirror the top curve of the guitar. Otherwise the pots will exit the guitar at a strange angle.

The SD custom shop pickups are the only way to go if you want to nail his tone from that guitar. The SD 59s come somewhat close and you might get in the ballpark with a high 8k set of alnico v pickups but the SD JPs are all over it. A SD JP bridge pickup will work with the BB neck pickup, no problem.

The JP wiring operates as stock with no switches activated. LP pickups are not out of phase when both are selected with stock wiring.

If all you want it a simple split for the bridge pickup, a spst long shaft pot will work and they are available, dpdt push pull pots with long shafts are not.

Feel free to PM or email me if you want all the ins and outs of this wiring and the installation into production LPs. I've done a few in LPs, Carvins and a few other models.

Robert
          www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
          www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
          http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Thanks Robert,

The question I have is, When the Bridge pup is taped to single coil position and the selector switch is in the middle position does it go out of phase??

Robert, how do you think a burstbucker #2 and a Page bridge pup would sound??

Comment

Originally posted by 91vintageburst

Robert, how do you think a burstbucker #2 and a Page bridge pup would sound??
              I can't answer this directly but I have PG in the neck of my LP which is said to be very similiar to a burstbucker #1 and I have a burstbucker #3 in the bridge which is wound at either 8.7 or 8.9k. This is a very good match as when I switch from bridge to neck it gets a little bit louder because its fuller which is exactly what it is supposed to do.

O ya and I think your combo would work, if the neck overpowers the bridge too much just mess with the pickup heights to balance the output

Comment

Why not the PG in bridge and BB #3 in neck?

Comment

does anyone have a wiring diagram for the Jimmy Page's #1 (the one Gibson is reproducing now Tom Murphy aged) Gibson is not talking to much all they told me was there is a push/pull on the treble tone and the pups are wired out of phase when the selector switch is in the middle position. they also gave me a part no. for the push/pull pot (PPAT-502)

Comment

Working...
                  X