Custom 8 paradise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Custom 8 paradise!

the schaller PAF with an a8 will sound like a schaller PAF with a8 the difference between a custom8 and a distortion8 would be the difference between a JB and a C5, just with alnico 8. alnico8 generally sound bigger imo, due to the high output and big mids which is where guitar frequencies should be attuned to anyways.
    Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
    ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Originally posted by super rad ska View Post
      the schaller PAF with an a8 will sound like a schaller PAF with a8 the difference between a custom8 and a distortion8 would be the difference between a JB and a C5, just with alnico 8. alnico8 generally sound bigger imo, due to the high output and big mids which is where guitar frequencies should be attuned to anyways.
      With the JB being like the DD...what would be the difference between a JB8 and a DD8 if the only real difference between a JB and DD is the Alnico V and Ceramic

and the CC being like the C5....CC uses Aln II and C5 uses Aln V.

did i get that right.
      EVH 100s Head & 4x12 Cab
      2014 EVH Wolfgang USA Stealth
      1984 Kramer Baretta (CC) purchased new
      1984 Kramer 5150 Clone (Alder with CC)
      1986 Charvel Model 4 (stock active circuitry)
      1987 Charvel Model 2 (JB)
      1989 Red Kramer Pacer Imperial (JB bridge)
      1989 Kramer ProAxe
      1999 EBMM Axis

Comment

Originally posted by Shinobi View Post
        With the JB being like the DD...what would be the difference between a JB8 and a DD8 if the only real difference between a JB and DD is the Alnico V and Ceramic

and the CC being like the C5....CC uses Aln II and C5 uses Aln V.

did i get that right.
        yep that sounds about right. now go crazy with the swaps! and don't forget to get a couple of each kind of magnet, and when you do order them enter sdforum for the coupon code.
        Yo, i'm Ryan™.

Comment

I love this tread... I only have one Custom 8 (only one guitar right now) but, oooh how sweet it is. I can't imagine life without it now. I need more guitars to put C8s in.

BloodRose, not to change the subject, but have you found a neck pickup you like the C8? I have the hardest time with the neck pup. I was just wondering. Maybe it's my guitar but I've yet to find one that does it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by C8rockin View Post
            I love this tread... I only have one Custom 8 (only one guitar right now) but, oooh how sweet it is. I can't imagine life without it now. I need more guitars to put C8s in.

BloodRose, not to change the subject, but have you found a neck pickup you like the C8? I have the hardest time with the neck pup. I was just wondering. Maybe it's my guitar but I've yet to find one that does it for me.
            a5/a3 or a5/a4 phat cat works really well with an a8 equipped bridge pickup
            Yo, i'm Ryan™.

Comment

Originally posted by super rad ska View Post
              yep that sounds about right. now go crazy with the swaps! and don't forget to get a couple of each kind of magnet, and when you do order them enter sdforum for the coupon code.
              Is there anything else I need to swap?? Is there a how to guide on this board?
              Thanks
              EVH 100s Head & 4x12 Cab
              1989 Kramer ProAxe
              1999 EBMM Axis

Comment

I had a5/a3 in it for a while but it was a little bright, so I changed to a4/a3 and I liked it for a while but now i'm finding it to thick and dark. Maybe I'll try a5/a4. If I could get a nickle cover on a p-rail I'd love to try it. It seems like the perfect neck pickup to me, and I may try one anyway, but I love the nickle covers in this guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinobi View Post
                  Is there anything else I need to swap?? Is there a how to guide on this board?
                  Thanks
                  my answer to those who want to discover the wonders of magnet swaps!
                  it's actually pretty cost effective to do magnet swaps, since they're only about $5-$8 per magnet and swapping them yourself is real easy once you know the process:

how to swap mags:

what each magnet sounds like:

where to get magnets:
                  http://shop.wymoreguitars.com/category.sc?categoryId=29
                  Yo, i'm Ryan™.

Comment

well my baretta with a 598 is that alone. My Salas has cool rails neck and mid, those work ok. My MG104 has a 598n. This I think would be a great match if it was mounted with a ring so that I could lower it. Being direct mount, its alil much..Its KILLER for leads!! But just alittle off balance. But suprisingly, not as unbalanced as I figured it would be..
                    my explorer has a Custom8/59n and it works pretty. ( I may try the 8 in the neck, cuz it has a ring....)
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                      well my baretta with a 598 is that alone. My Salas has cool rails neck and mid, those work ok. My MG104 has a 598n. This I think would be a great match if it was mounted with a ring so that I could lower it. Being direct mount, its alil much..Its KILLER for leads!! But just alittle off balance. But suprisingly, not as unbalanced as I figured it would be..
                      my explorer has a Custom8/59n and it works pretty. ( I may try the 8 in the neck, cuz it has a ring....)
                      So the 598n works good huh? I tryied a PG8n once when I first started swapping magnets and it seems like it wasn't all that bad, but I prefered the PCn at the time. I may try it again.
                      See,...In 20 years I've never used a neck pickup. I've always been a rhythm player with full on, in your face hard rock distortion all the time. Well, since I bought a tube amp I've really started to learn to be more versitile now that I have an amp that is.(not on purpose either, it just started happening) I'm learning how to play some lead and blues stuff now and I'm finding I need more options. I'm having a hard time with the neck pickup and thats why I ask. Thanks
                      I would like to try a 59n sometime. I think I might like it based on what I've read, but I don't know.

Comment

So the 598n works good huh? I tryied a PG8n once when I first started swapping magnets and it seems like it wasn't all that bad, but I prefered the PCn at the time. I may try it again.
                        See,...In 20 years I've never used a neck pickup. I've always been a rhythm player with full on, in your face hard rock distortion all the time. Well, since I bought a tube amp I've really started to learn to be more versitile now that I have an amp that is.(not on purpose either, it just started happening) I'm learning how to play some lead and blues stuff now and I'm finding I need more options. I'm having a hard time with the neck pickup and thats why I ask. Thanks
                        I would like to try a 59n sometime. I think I might like it based on what I've read, but I don't know.
                        598n is alittle strong and would have to be set lower, but tonally its there..
                        598b is kinda like a vintage Custom8.
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

598n is alittle strong and would have to be set lower, but tonally its there..
                          598b is kinda like a vintage Custom8.
                          Not sure what a 59n or 59b is??? I wonder which one my Golden 60 is like? Unless of course it simply stands for 59 Bridge and 59 Neck. What ever it is that pup has an A8 in it now and will never leave my Baretta.

As for the ESP LTD H50, I did the swap tonight with the CC and changed it into a C8. Definetly woke up the ESP LTD...it is singing and pretty fat...not as brite as my Baretta.

But the point of my ESP LTD is that it is more of an every day practice guitar that I use to avoid wear and tear on the Kramer. I wanted the ESP to sound good though and it realy did sound good with the CC in it. Changing it to a C8 has made it more present and a little more brite sounding..but it's still a CC with respect to mids...not as much treble as the 598 for sure.

Now I have this DD sitting around wondering what I should do with it. I wished I could change out the mag, because I have an A2, A5, and A8 mag now extra.

If I could get the mag to fit into the DD what would it sound like you suppose with one of those mags. Thinking maybe the A2 and put it into the neck position??? Probably not....probably should just sell it.
                          Last edited by Shinobi; 03-12-2009, 10:47 PM.
                          EVH 100s Head & 4x12 Cab
                          1989 Kramer ProAxe
                          1999 EBMM Axis

Comment

Yes sir, n = neck, b= bridge
                            I have a 598bridge model in my baretta and a 598neck model in the neck of one of my MG104s

So, you like the custom 8??

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Yes sir, n = neck, b= bridge
                              I have a 598bridge model in my baretta and a 598neck model in the neck of one of my MG104s

So, you like the custom 8??

Yes I think the C8 in my ESP is going to make the guitar more desirable to play. I used to play it with the CC in it...and then when I would switch to the Karmer with the DD...it would be this huge change in sound. I don't like my sound to change to drastically between guitars as it effects the amps EQ.

Maybe I'm just lazy because my Switchblade has like 32X4 programmable channels. But I don't like to channel surf when I'm playing because I forget where stuff is at.

I don't have a d-tuna on my Kramer (yet) so the ESP is used when I want to quickly drop tune...and when I want to do sweeps and toggle both the neck and bridge pups.

What pup should I put in the neck of the ESP to compliment the C8 in the bridge? I have the POS stock ESP pup in the neck right now.
                              EVH 100s Head & 4x12 Cab
                              1989 Kramer ProAxe
                              1999 EBMM Axis

Comment

Yay! Yeah, the custom 8 has a broader spread of tone than the CC, is more aggressive, but NOT harsh. To me, its a great all around pup.. Chunky with a great singing lead voice..

As far a neck pup.. Id try a 598. I have one in the neck of one of my Washburn MG104s and it sounds great. The ONLY drawback is that it is alittle strong. But tone is great! On my guitar, the pups are direct mount, so I cant lower the pup more to get a little less power. But if yours is on a mounting ring, that would be ideal.. Worse case scenario, you decide its too much.. then just put the stock magnet back and run as a 59. As is, the balance isnt too overwhelming. Its just not perfect. But I like it so much, I cant change it. It just wails for leads in the neck and bridge.. Doesnt have a pristine clean, but has a warm, sweet bluesy tone when rolled back. I will definately try the combo in a guitar with pup rings where I can drop it some..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                                X