Custom 8 paradise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Custom 8 paradise!

Ill add one more thing.. I just A/Bed my Washburn MG104s.. One has the stock 59/CC combo, the other 598/C8 set. comparing only the bridge pups thru my pv 30 with tubescreamer about 5 on the richter scale...
    I sometimes get confused when people talk about compression. Im not sure if that is just the pup giving the note and nothing more, or what.. So this may be a compression issue.. but my perception is this..

The CC is bang bang bang.
    The Custom 8 puts alittle air into it (life) and adds a bit of squish when you downpick the chord. This is Amazing in my explorer. I dont want to use Brown tone here, but it does give that pleasant flubby squish that is part of the early evh. Im not sure the technicals, but to me it makes it sound very alive...
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

with all this A8 talk...i think itd really add a lot to an EMG 81. too bad those bastards are impossible to crack open.
      Originally posted by Aceman
      It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by ex-250 View Post
        with all this A8 talk...i think itd really add a lot to an EMG 81. too bad those bastards are impossible to crack open.
        Technically not impossible to open, but getting it back together could be difficult.

Don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread, but Gibson's 498T is pretty similar to a C5, and also works very well with various magnets, including an A8. Convert those 498T's while you're at it.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by ex-250 View Post
          I have a mallet you can borrow.
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Uk Ant View Post
            Custom 8's are great pups.
            If I can get hold of another custom I may well put one in my Kramer instead of the JB, or I could go for a JB 8

I put the 598 in my Kramer Retta (Maple) body it is sounded incredible but I wanted more mids. The C8 to me sounds better in my Guitar then the 598 did. Plus my 598 was unpotted so it would squeal like a pig with the amp turned up...the bad type of squealing too...had to be on an off the volume a lot more but sometimes I could even hear it in between notes whilst playing.

If I had to put another mag in my 59 it would be an A2.
            EVH 100s Head & 4x12 Cab
            2014 EVH Wolfgang USA Stealth
            1984 Kramer Baretta (CC) purchased new
            1984 Kramer 5150 Clone (Alder with CC)
            1986 Charvel Model 4 (stock active circuitry)
            1987 Charvel Model 2 (JB)
            1989 Red Kramer Pacer Imperial (JB bridge)
            1989 Kramer ProAxe
            1999 EBMM Axis

Comment

now i am gonna x mags

Comment

let me know what you think of the C8! I LOVE EM!! My Explorer has a killer growl now.. And it works in all the other ones too!

Jol Dantzig

Comment

My A8 magnet is on its way from Wymore Guitars... and my "vintage" MJ-wound Custom arrived yesterday. Very excited to finally try a Custom 8. Been reading about it for years on the forum...
                  Asteroids do not concern me.

Comment

Originally posted by wildstar View Post
                    My A8 magnet is on its way from Wymore Guitars... and my "vintage" MJ-wound Custom arrived yesterday. Very excited to finally try a Custom 8. Been reading about it for years on the forum...
                    let us know how you like it! What is the MJ wound pup you have?

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I bought a Custom from a guy on another forum. The bottom is labeled with a sticker that says "DCJ." The seller said the pickup dated back to the late 80s or early 90s, if I remember correctly. It oozes mojo.

I will definitely report on the Custom 8, once the A8 magnet arrives.
                      Asteroids do not concern me.

Comment

Instead of trying to describe it... I wish people would just post clips.

I'd be interested in hearing this.

Lot easier to listen to something than have to take their word for it.
                        Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

Originally posted by Mephis View Post
                          Instead of trying to describe it... I wish people would just post clips.

I'd be interested in hearing this.

Lot easier to listen to something than have to take their word for it.
                          I know amigo.. Clips are worth a thousand words. I would love to be able to post em as I could lay down all three 8s. (Crazy, Custom , Alternative) and also could post Custom8 in different guitars. But I dont have the means..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by jasona84 View Post
                            I need to start magnet swapping!!!
                            Haha you're a much more senior formumite I'm surprised you've held out so long.

I never thought about a magnet swap before visiting this forum.

I did my first magnet swap the other day. I put an AlNiCo 8 or is that AlNiCo XIII (not VIII lol) into my Tonerider Rocksong bridge pickup. It's wound to about 11.8k measured. It's definately got that a8 clarity, smooth top end, and lower mids happening now. It's more sterile sounding but way more output. Original magnet is a2. I am an a2 fan but the a8 is good for hotrodding a pickup. I will probably change it back as it's lost a lot of it's sweetness.

Comment

I'm chiming in here again after I finally swung the time to swap 'em. So far, I'm really liking the C8! The C5 was really nice as well, but a bit too bright, and was a bit weak in volume compared to the Jazz neck. The C8 seems to balance on both accounts. The lead sounds are really good on this too. Sounds big! I swapped them yesterday, so I'll evaluate it over a longer time span, but it's looking good now.
                              My Soundclick

Comment

Originally posted by Tor View Post
                                I'm chiming in here again after I finally swung the time to swap 'em. So far, I'm really liking the C8! The C5 was really nice as well, but a bit too bright, and was a bit weak in volume compared to the Jazz neck. The C8 seems to balance on both accounts. The lead sounds are really good on this too. Sounds big! I swapped them yesterday, so I'll evaluate it over a longer time span, but it's looking good now.
                                Cool! Whatcha got it in? Notice that little bit of squish when you hit the notes? Keep us posted!

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                                X