banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Curious, Has Any One Ever Combined Two Sd Single Hums In One Stndrd Hum Spot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Curious, Has Any One Ever Combined Two Sd Single Hums In One Stndrd Hum Spot?

Silly and not cost effective, BUT has any one tried it? Think of the different combos!
    !

Re: Just Curious, Has Any One Ever Combined Two Sd Single Hums In One Stndrd Hum Spot?

Sounds possible; in fact, if there are split-able coils, why shouldn't you be able to combine two pups together but cancelling each other? And how about 3-pickup strats?

There must be a "but", thought... maybe you can't just go and do... don't know... well, I actually don't know much of anything, anyway.

Comment

Re: Just Curious, Has Any One Ever Combined Two Sd Single Hums In One Stndrd Hum Spot?

I haven't put 2 single coils in the space of a humbucker, but I have wired 2 singles up in series, which is essentially what a humbucker is. They sounded much different than a humbucker, with much more bass and a kind of bubbly middle than your average humbucker would have. A different sound than you'd normally hear, but defiantely useful for certain situations, like really smoothe lead or low-clarity distortion. Not low clarity as in muddy, but low clarity as not much highs, so it's kind of really smoothe and not prominant at all, just chilling out in the background, sort of like alot of the Jazz guitar tones you might hear with the tone at 0.
      Last edited by wasteofo2; 09-12-2004, 07:04 PM.

Comment

I think the problem you might have is the shape of the single coil pickup - it has that extended part at the front where all the coil windings terminate and are soldered to the 4-conductor lead. You'd probably need to cut this part off and re-attach the wires elswhere, which I hear is tricky due to how delicate they are.

Then there are the 'ears' on the pickup, where the mounting screws go. These will also prevent you getting two single coil size humbuckers into standard humbucker route. You could probably cut these off too, then attach the pickups onto a common baseplate.

I've never tried any of this - I've just cribbed ideas from the Sustainiac website, where you need to 'operate' on a single coil sized humbucker to get it into a humbucker route with the sustainiac (http://www.sustainiac.com/stealth.htm)

Of course, I imagine none of these are issues if you're putting the pickups into a strat with a swimming pool route and don't mind using 4 mounting screws

If you wanted to just try the idea out for wiring options, you could probably pick something like the Kent Armstrong Motherbucker up fairly cheaply off ebay or something - it's basically a 4-coil humbucker similar to 2 single coil sized humbuckers side by side:

Comment

This is something I've been messing with on paper for some time. The biggest problem I see, and this only theoretically, is the two magnets, in close proximity to each other would fight each other. The magnetic field would probably be altered enough to change the overall character of each pickup.

Theoretically . . .

Comment

I did it with stock Strat pickups. Other than being very prone to feedback, it sounded pretty good, though bright. If I had the cash, I'd do it with duncans.

Comment

On a similar note....Has anyone combined two Hot Rails in the bridge of a guitar? How would that work?
              _

Comment

My Alvarez Dana Scoop came stock with 4 single coils. 3 shoved into the bridge slot, and one in the middle. There is no neck slot as the wood there is completely scooped out, hence it's name. It was wired with a standard 5 way switch and standard strat wiring config in pos 1-5. It actually worked fairly well, and I left that combo in there since I bought it in 93'. Once I realized how good duncan's sounded, I started messing with it.

There were no issues with phase or magnets canceling out that I am aware of, but this may be due to the design of the guitar.
                My Sound Clips

Comment

That's basicaly what I was trying to get at. Like a Lil screamin demon and a JB jr in one Standard humbucker spot. I had on of the Music YO Kramers and it had the "Quad Rail" humbucker which was the same thing, but I was wondering what it would sound like with some high quality single spaced humbuckers.
                  !

Comment

Yeah, I've never owned one of the small humbuckers, so I don't know how their magnets are oriented, but if its like a full-sized HB, as I think about it, the two magnets would work together - north to south.

It would still be an interesting experiment - albeit, an expensive one.

Comment

Working...
                    X