Custom Custom noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Custom noise?

Okay, this is my first round with a used Duncan Custom Custom that's been sitting around in my parts bin... I installed in the bridge posistion of my LP, on a whim.

I had a custom/59 hybrid in there, and before that the original Gibson 500T. Now, both of those pickups were fairly quiet pickups, but this Custom Custom really puts out a lot of noise. Great tone, really great tone actually, but the minute I stop playing it's like an open lead or something. I've checked the ground, and the red and white wires are together and insulated.
    So, my question is: anyone think this could be a bum pickup, or are the Custom Customs just noisy?
    My Site
    My Gear

Re: Custom Custom noise?

in my experience pickups with alnico IIs are more susceptible to noise in other words they are more sensitive to electrical interference. alnico Vs are a little bit quieter and ceramics are the quietest.you went from ceramic(custom) to A2(CC) so the change of noise level is very noticeable
    2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

You aren't imagining things: the custom custom is noisier. The consensus seems to be that Alnico magnets, being metal, will pickup far more noise than ceramic magnets.

I don't know if the chemistry of A2's make them noisier, or if it's because they emphasize different frequencies, but some think that A2's are noisier than A2's. I shielded the hell out of the control cavity of my Warmoth VIP with copper tape (even made before and after recordings), and that cut the noise in half.
      This machine kills fascists

Comment

Well, good to know, thanks!
        I'm really digging this pickup so I think I'll try everything I can to quite it down...
        Has anyone tried re-potting to quiet them down a touch?
        My Site
        My Gear

Comment

Originally posted by tiefightertk069
          Well, good to know, thanks!
          I'm really digging this pickup so I think I'll try everything I can to quite it down...
          Has anyone tried re-potting to quiet them down a touch?
          Potting doesn't have much to do with that, that's to prevent microphonic squeal. Try wrapping electrical tape around the coils, then copper shielding tape (solder a small wire to the tape before hand), then solder that lead to the baseplate. Then more electrical tape or pup tape to keep cosmetic appearances.
          I would recheck the drain/bare wire connection to ground also, as well as all ground connections, just to be safe.
          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

I've never had a problem with my custom custom being noisy...this is news to me. I'd be interested to hear more about this. I've also not heard that Alinco pups are more likely to pick up interfence. If so, the majority of pups out there would suffer from this.

If that really is the case, shielding the cavity will provide a great deal of relief....like on a strat. Shielding tape or spray in the cavity and on the back of the plate cover, as well as using a common ground for all of your grounds, and not the back of your pot, eliminating any ground loops in the series.
            My Sound Clips

Comment

...I'm out of shielding tape, so I placed an order yesterday. I'm already running a common ground, I installed that when I originally re-wired the guitar. I'll keep everyone up to date once I shield everything.

Thanks again,
              Jason
              My Site
              My Gear

Comment

Working...
              X