No announcement yet.

Decibels to Ohms resistance conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decibels to Ohms resistance conversion?

hello, I've tried to find this w/Google, some sort of chart, but its not coming out for me so,

with regard to guitar pickup output

how do you convert K Ohms output to Db?

I ask because I'm trying to use my EQ pedal as a temporary subsititute for a higher output pickup.

so if my pickup is 10 kOhm output, how many + Db's would I need to goose the EQ level to get it to about 16 kohm for example ?

in principle does this work?

thanks
    Teles/Les Pauls/Strats
    Rivera+Engl
    Band: http://www.facebook.com/pages/ROCKET...C/191528640762

Re: Decibels to Ohms resistance conversion?

You can't really do this. There's no correlation between ohms and db's. For one thing, you have the magnet to take into account. Ohms can only give you a very coarse idea of relative output.

For instance, we can safely assume that a pickup with 14k of resitance will have more output than one with 7k of resistance, assuming they have the same magnet. But thats about as close as you can get.

Its just a general comparison.

Comment

It doesn't work. Resistance is only one of many factors with respect to output. Magnet strength, type, and configuration, and coil wire gauge are other factors. Check out the charts here and at DiMarzio - you'll see pups with lesser resistance but greater output and vice versa.

Best bet is to earball it. ;-)

Comment

OK I see

thanks for the reality check
        Teles/Les Pauls/Strats
        Rivera+Engl

Comment

the resistance will also tell you a bit about the 'personality' of the pup. higher resistance tends to be tighter and more focused sounding while lower resistances are a fair bit looser and 'spongy'

and how loud the pup is is determined by the amp and the ... volume knob

btw, you might want to invest into a duncan booster pedal. you can change the resonance peak and do a flat EQ boost with it, so it's your best bet to make a low resistance pup to sound tighter

Comment

thanks, just so happens I'm getting an EQ pedal in the mail tommorrow
            Which I'm going to try between guitar & amp to see if I can get something wonderful
            I'll never be satisfied, its just a fact

thanks for the note, that is totally new info for me
            Teles/Les Pauls/Strats
            Rivera+Engl

Comment

Something you can do though, is if you can plug into a rack compressor (take a trip down to the local music store), and use the dB meters to measure the input of your guitar, and the output of the compressor (with effect bypassed). Then try other guitars (say a pafish HB), then one with a hot HB and see how much level difference there is, and how much you have to turn up the output control to register the same general output. Do a bit of math, and you are in a good ballpark. Strumming open chords works well for this, get a friend of yours to slip you in a shop on a slow day towards closing.
              Running thru a direct box into a mixer with level indicators can be used as well for this. Bear in mind it only really rough, and it's only the overall output.
              ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
              ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
              Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

aha yes, great idea

I'll test it with my recording stuff (Cakewalk) Love the bouncing level indicators!
                Teles/Les Pauls/Strats
                Rivera+Engl

Comment

Working...
                X