New strat project need ideas for pups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New strat project need ideas for pups

I'm gonna go Duncan all the way, and I'm gonna stick with true single coils, That said...you guys got any ideas? I'm Running through a Twin Rev. with a Brown Source and/or a Rat most of the time. I'm really tire of the SRV strat tone...output is not an issue, I want a good tone...think Jeff Beck, not so much the new stuff but the early stuff up to and including Guitar Shop...If fact think Guitar Shop. I'm gonna go with an alder body, and a nonlocking trem(if you guys have and ideas for a good trem set-up((trem, nut, and somekind of locking keys, let me in on that too!)), with a big fat neck. Any help is good help, thanks guys.

The guy who invented fire
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Re: New strat project need ideas for pups

The Ant II Surfers and as for the trem, if you're wanting to do some serious wobbling, a vintage trem properly set up with a good nut and little friction can work just as well as a 2 point trem and a roller nut.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

guy,
      I believe Jeff likes APS-2s (probably custom wound) in his strats, although I'm not sure what he recorded Guitar Shop with ...
      so I'd recommend APS-2s with a hotter bridge, like a Twangbanger or an Antiquity Custom

personally, I like the APSs as much as any of the vintage type single coils I've tried - just very warm and vocal

I like the Wilkinson trems .. they're nice and smooth, and have a warm tone. I combine those with Sperzel tuners for a nice system.
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

What about a full set of anitiquitys?...how whill that fair?
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
          guy,
          I believe Jeff likes APS-2s (probably custom wound) in his strats, although I'm not sure what he recorded Guitar Shop with ...
          so I'd recommend APS-2s with a hotter bridge, like a Twangbanger or an Antiquity Custom

personally, I like the APSs as much as any of the vintage type single coils I've tried - just very warm and vocal

I like the Wilkinson trems .. they're nice and smooth, and have a warm tone. I combine those with Sperzel tuners for a nice system.

Everything Curly just said. Oh, and add an LSR roller nut to those Sperzels and that Wilkinson, and you'll be set.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented
            What about a full set of anitiquitys?...how whill that fair?
            guy,
            well, I love the Antiquities ... great pickups, responsive, vocal, complex ... and they look neat .... can't go wrong there, especially for an ultimate vintage tone

however, that's a little different tone from Jeff Beck's tone ...
            I'm basing the APS answer on what I believe people have said the other times this question has come up - although JB's sig strat has different pickups, folks have said that he uses APSs on the strats he plays. Since Seymour and JB go way back, I would think Jeff could get whatever he wants.

BTW, I have clips of both Antiquities and APSs on my site
            "music heals"
            facebook

Comment

any advantage/disadvantage with the ASP-1 and ASP-2...what I mean is what is the advantage or the disadvantage of staggered pole pups...

thanks
              so much guys

Comment

Some people find that the flat polepiece variants of the singles have more mids and sound a touch fatter than their staggered counterparts.
                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I just setup my #1 with an Antiquity Custom bridge and 2 Antiquity Surfers.
                  Words can't describe the cleans. If Fat 50's are the SRV tone, then these are the Hendrix sound. The notch positions are the best I've heard, and you can hear the wood so good, you could probably tell if there was mineral deposits in the grain. LOL
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Gearjoneser,

what up? congrads on the pups...sounds killer but, I hate to say it this way but I'm looking for something a little more modern. God, that hurt, i hate that term...but it's ture. Output is NOT the issue, I'm thinking nice glassy clean tones (i'm not too concerned with the notch sounds way, pos 2 and 4 are cool...but not my bag),and i want a good overdrive tone as well. As for the clean tones, think big and bell likeon the neck and bright and stingy on the bridge..as for crunch...slighty scooped mids, strong lows, nice compressed sound(listen to Big Block on Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop...not the slide parts, the other guitar) ANyway, I'm thinking APS-2's in the neck and middle and maybe a Twangbanger in the bridge, but not 100% sure yet.

Take care

the guy who invented fire

Comment

Working...
                    X